Last modified: 2017-09-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 12 July 2014
Institución Educativa Colegio Pablo Correa León was established on 20 March
1980 in Cúcuta (Norte de Santander Department). The institute is named for Pablo
Correa León (1918-1980), 2nd Bishop of Cúcuta (22 July 1959 - 27 July 1970).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided dark blue-white-wine red-gold with the institute's emblem in the white stripe. There is no photographic evidence that the flag in actual use bears the emblem. Dark blue is a symbol of great ideals. White is a symbol of peace, harmony, transparency, legality, human relations, respect for all, and dignity. Wine red is a symbol of tenacity, audacity, and perseverance. Gold is a symbol of human values.
http://majitouribe91.blogspot.fr/2013/05/bandera-colegio-pablo-correa-leon.html - María José Uribe Silva's blog
The emblem of the institute is a shield diagonally divided per bend sinister. The upper part, white, is charged with a mitre, as a tribute to Bishop Pablo Correa León and a symbol of the Christian faith. The mitre is yellow, with a red cross and lappets (infulae). The sinister part, blue [white on the drawing] is charged with a yellow parchment and a green quill, symbolizing science and truth. The bend is charged with the institute's motto, "EMPRESA Y VIRTUD" ('Enterprise and Virtue).
http://majitouribe91.blogspot.fr/2013/05/escudo-colegio-pablo-correa-leon_1.html - María José Uribe Silva's blog
Ivan Sache, 12 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 27 January 2009
"Colegio 'Pablo de Tarso'" (Paul of Tarsus) was
founded in January 1996 by the Federal District of Bogotá
(Decree No. 002).
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided red-blue with a white triangle placed along the hoist.
Ivan Sache, 27 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 01 July 2014
Colegio Diocesiano Paulo Sexto is located in Cereté (Córdoba Department). The
institute is named for Pope Paul VI.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-white-yellow.
Source: http://unminutoparalareflexion2013.blogspot.fr/2014/04/himno-del-colegio-diocesano-pablo-sexto.html - Nabonazar Cogollo Ayala's blog
Ivan Sache, 01 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 30 June 2014
Colegio Palermo de San José was established on 17 January 1943 by Antonio
Henao (d. 1986), the parish priest of El Pobladao (Medellin) and Mother María
Olivia (1918-2004), an Austrian-born nun from the Congregation of the Franciscan
Missionary Sisters of Mary Help of Christians, established in Ecuador by the
Swiss-born nun St. Maria Bernarda Bütler (1848-1924; canonized on 12 October
2008 by Pope Benedict XVI). Blessed on 19 March 1943, St. Joseph's Day, the
institute was relocated in 1945 in the Palermo estate, purchased one year
The flag of the institute is presented as horizontally divided yellow-blue. The image shows the institute's emblem in the middle of the flag, while the written description mentions only the two stripes. There is no photographical evidence that the flags in actual use are charged with the emblem.
Yellow is a symbol of the love for the Eucharist, of struggle for surpassing, and of universal fraternity. Blue is a symbol of love for Mary Help of Christians.
The emblem of the institute was designed by Sister Gregoria Dücks. It is made of a yellow disk with a blue border inscribed with "COLEGIO PALERMO DE SAN JOSE" (top) and "MEDELLIN" (bottom). Inside the disk is a white parchment, a symbol of truth and transparency. The yellow stars represent high ideals and goals. The lamp is a symbol of force and tenacity, of the light of Christ, of enthusiasm, joy, and Franciscan kindness. The monogram refers to the name of the institute. The books are a symbol of science.
Ivan Sache, 30 June 2014
image by Dov Gutterman, 21 July 2002
Image based on <www.unipamplona.edu.co>.
Dov Gutterman, 21 July 2002
image by Ivan Sache, 13 September 2014
Institución Educativa Panamericano Puente Boyacá was established in the
village of Puente de Boyacá, part of the municipality of Ventaquemada (Boyacá
Department) by Resolution No. 2,006 of 21 October 2008.
The flag of the institute is green with a red disk in the middle, outlined in golden yellow and charged with a black representation of the Bridge of Boyacá.
Source: http://instpanamericano.blogspot.fr/p/bandera-y-escudo.html - Institute's website
The Bridge of Boyacá (Puente de Boyacá) is part of the Park of Boyacá, a National Cultural Heritage site that commemorates the Battle of Boyacá, won on 7 August 1819 over the Royalist troops. The bridge, erected in the early 18th century, was proclaimed a National Monument of the Independence in 1920.
Ivan Sache, 13 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 20 November 2014
Colegio Cooperativo was established in January 1976 in Panqueba (Boyacá
Department) by the priest José Antonio Romero Mojica. The school was renamed
Colegio Departamental Mixto by Decree No. 645 of 23 August 1976, Colegio
Nacionalizado de Panqueba by Agreement No. 69 of 5 August 1986, and Colegio de
Educación Basica y Media Técnica de Panqueba by Resolution No. 2,016 of 22 July
1999. Colegio de Educación Preescolar, Basica y Media Técnica de Panqueba was
established by Resolution No. 1,664 of 11 July 2002, as the merger of the
Colegio and of Concentración Urbana. Institución Educativa Técnica de Panqueba
was eventually established by Resolution No. 47 of 16 January 2009 as the merger
of the Colegio and of several Escuelas Rurales.
The flag of the institute is described in Chapter 2, Article 6 of the institute's Etiquette Guidebook as plain emerald green, meaning hope, economy, agriculture and cattle-breeding. Adopted in September 1979, the flag was designed by Aurelia Maldonado de Russi. Authorship is credited to the priest José A. Romeroy - director of the school - and to the teachers María Antonia Calerón, Dora Sofía Leal and Aurelia Maldonado.
Source: http://colpanqueba.jimdo.com/manual-de-convivencia/ - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 20 November 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 13 December 2014
Institución Educativa Técnica Papagalá was established in 1932 in Papagalá
(municipality of Saldaña, Tolima Department), as Escuela Rural Mixta Papagalá.
The sole teacher, Atanias Réinales, taught some 20 pupils in a palm-roofed hut
offered by Miguel Hernández Pinto. Colegio Papagalá was established in 1982, as
a secondary seat of Colegio Roberto Leiva. Institución Educativa Técnica
Papagalá was eventually established by Resolution No. 1,213 of 3 October 2002 as
the merger of Instituto Técnico Comercial Papagalá, Escuela Rural Mixta Papagalá
Cucharo and Escuela Rural Mixta El Redil.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided wine red-white. Wine red is a symbol of Tolima Department, as a colour of its flag. White is a symbol of peace.
Source: http://papagala.tripod.com/CONOZCANOS.htm#S%CDMBOLOS_INSTITUCIONALES - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 13 December 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 29 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 29 October 2014
Escuela Normal de institutores de Nariño was established in Pasto (Nariño
Department) by Law No. 7 of 6 September 1911. Classes started on 23 November
1911. The institute was renamed Escuela Normal de Occidente in 1935. Subsequent
names of the institute were Escuela Normal Superior de Varones, Escuela Normal
Nacional, and, eventually, Institución Educativa Municipal Escuela Normal
Superior de Pasto.
The flag of the institute is presented in the Institutional Education Project as horizontally divided white-green. Green represents hope, as well as the woods and gardens located in the premises of the institute. White is a symbol of tranquillity, harmony, and peace.
Source: http://www.escuelanormalpasto.edu.co/documentos/05pei.pdf - Institute's website
However, the flag in actual use is horizontally divided green-white.
The flag appears to be used also with the institute's emblem in the middle.
The emblem of the institute is presented in the Institutional Education Project as charged with traditional elements. The lower right part alludes to Nariño Department illuminated by the torch of knowledge. The upper left part is charged with a castle, a symbol of the greatness of the inhabitants of Nariño, surrounded by two lions symbolizing the authority and the force of people struggling for education. The central part is inscribed with the institute's motto "EDUCACION Y PROGRESO" (Education and Progress).
Ivan Sache, 29 October 2014
Ivan Sache, 12 July 2014
Institución Educativa Municipal Técnico Industrial de Pasto was established
in 1950 in Pasto (Nariņo Department), succeeding Escuela Industrial Francisco de
Paula Santander. The institute was managed from 1952 to 1972 by the Salesians of
Don Bosco. Then state-managed, the institute was renamed Instituto Técnico
Superior Industrial Nacional de Pasto. The institute adopted its current name in
2004, after its management had been transferred to the municipality of Pasto.
The flag of the institute is diagonally divided green-white per bend sinister, with the institute's emblem in the middle. Green is a symbol of freshness, tranquility and hope. White is a symbol of purity, innocence and peace.
The emblem of the institute features:
- a lightning, representing electricity, among the oldest specialties taught at the institute;
- a cogwheel, representing industrial mechanics;
- a square and a rectangle, representing industrial design and wood industry;
- a computer mouse, representing computer science, the most recent specialty taught at the institute;
- a book, as the highest symbol of academics and knowledge.
All these elements are inscribed within a circle symbolizing integration.
http://tecnicoindustrialpasto.edu.co/index.php/institucion/simbolos-institucionales - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 12 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 08 July 2011
"Colegio Patios Centro Uno" is located in Los Patios (Norte de Santander
The flag of the institute, as shown (photo) on the institute's website, is horizontally divided white-red.
Ivan Sache, 08 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 09 July 2011
"Liceo Patria" was founded on 15 April 1967 in Barrio San Alfonso,
Bucaramanga (Santander Department) by General Álvaro Valencia Tovar, as "Quinta
Brigada", based in dependencies of the Ricaurte Battalion. In 1970 General
Álvaro Camacho Leiva moved the college to its today's location and renamed it "Liceo
Patria Quinta Brigada". On 28 April 2008, the college was renamed "Institución
Educativa Liceo Patria" by Municipal Decree No. 1,699.
The flag of the institute is shown graphically on the institute's website as horizontally divided white-red. White symbolizes peace, red symbolizes courage and love.
Ivan Sache, 09 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 17 September 2014
Institución Educativa Paul VI was established in Palmira (Valle Department)
by Resolution No. 1,781 of 4 September 2002, as the merger of Centro Docente No.
82 Paulo VI (est. on 16 October 1968), Centro Docente No. 98 José María Calvache,
Centro Docente No. 101 Popular Modelo, and Centro Docente No. 107 Luis Fernando
Vallejo. The name of the institute recalls the Apostolic Pilgrimage (official
visit) of Pope Paul VI to Bogotá, 21-25 August 1968.
The symbols of the institute, designed by Hugo Ferney Rodriguez in 1983, for the celebration of the 15th anniversary of the foundation of the institute, are prescribed in Article 7 of the institute's Etiquette Guidebook.
The flag is divided white-yellow by a red diagonal stripe, per bend sinister. White and yellow are the papal colours. Red recalls the cloak of the Pope and of the cardinals.
Ivan Sache, 17 September 2014
Escuela de Enfermería
image by Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
The Infirmary School of the Pedagogical and Technological
University of Colombia (Escuela de Enfermería Universidad
Pedaógica y Tecnológica de Colombia).
Flag at the university website. The device is an oil lamp.
Jan Mertens, 2 December 2008
Actually, the translation of the name of this institution
should read 'School of Nursing of the Educational and
Technological University of Colombia.
Ron Lahav, 4 December 2008
"Universidad Pedagógica y Tecnológica de Colombia" (UPTC) was founded in 1953
in Tunja (Boyacá Department); UPTC has today sections in Duitama, Sogamoso and
Chiquinquirá (Boyacá Department. UPTC is formed of the Faculties of Agronomical
Sciences, Basic Sciences, Education Sciences, Economical and Administrative
Sciences, Health Sciences, Law, and Engineering, and of three Secion Faculties
located in the secondary sections of the University.
The flag of UPTC, as shown graphically and described on the UPTC website, is quartered black-ochre. Black represents decency, modesty, discretion, commitment to the service and the defence of the sovereign homeland. It represents the shyness of our citizens and the discretion of the women. Ochre recalls that the Tunja lands, seemingly arid, bore the first wheat grain ever in Colombia. Ochre also represents maize, the most important staple food of the Muisca culture, and the sun that was venerated by our ancestors.
The flag of the School of Nursing, designed by the student Olga Marina Valero de Hernández, is white with two ochre and black horizontal stripes on top and bottom, covering together 40% of the flag's hoist and recalling the flag of UTPC, and the School's emblem in the middle.
Source: http://www.uptc.edu.co/facultades/f_salud/pregrado/enfermeria/inf_adicional/simbolos/bandera.html (new link but photo of the flag still there)
The emblem of the School of Nursing is an oil lamp as used in 1200 by St. Catherine of Sienna [indeed the nurses' patron saint, but she lived in 1347-1380, not in 1200] during the black plague epidemic; the saint visited nightly sick people, using the lamp to find her way through the town's streets. The oil lamp has been used since them when watching over sick people in hospitals, convents, asylums and all kinds of health institutes. Florence Nightingale (1820-1910), the pioneer of modern nursing, used such a lamp during the Crimean War (1853-1856) in her nightly rounds and was nicknamed "The Lady with the Lamp". The oil lamp is a symbol of light, clarity, knowledge and hope.
Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 14 September 2014
Institución Educativa Pedro Estrada was established in the San Fernando
borough, part of the municipality of Itagüí (Antioquia Department), in 1954, and
registered in 1959 by Departmental Ordinance No. 21. The institute is named for
the Itagüí-born entrepreneur Pedro Estrada González (1881-1956).
Source: http://www.iepedroestrada.net/ - Municipal website
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-red with a white triangle placed along the hoist and charged with the institute's emblem. Blue represents the constant progress towards excellence, quality and humanization of education. Red represents passion for a project of personal and institutional life centered on the human being. White symbolizes the building and permanent compromise of the educational community towards a culture of peace.
Source: http://www.iepedroestrada.net/index.php/filosofia/simbolos-institucionales/bandera - Institute' website
The emblem of the institute is circular. In the middle is placed a symbol representing the human being and letter "I", for "Informática" (computer science), "institución" (institution), and "formación integral" (integral education). The symbol is surrounded by four people with open arms, who represent the educational community. The emblem uses the institutional colours: white, red, and blue. The emblem represents the humanist philosophy of the institute. In the center of the educative process is the person, who receives and projects the values of the educational community, composed of the students, parents, managing teachers, teachers, and ex-alumni. Those are united by their open arms for team work, as an evidence that the community learns, innovates, and participates.
Source: http://www.iepedroestrada.net/index.php/filosofia/simbolos-institucionales/escudo - Institute' website
Ivan Sache, 14 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 10 September 2014
Institución Educativa Técnica Pedro José Sarmiento is located in Socha
The institute is named for General Pedro José Sarmiento, President of the Sovereign State of Boyacá, killed on 17 June 1885 during the Battle of La Humareda.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-white-green.
Source: http://www.socha-boyaca.gov.co/apc-aa-files/33383463363735336232333366366365/SIMBOLOS_DE_LA_INSTITUCION_1.pdf - Socha official website
Ivan Sache, 10 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 8 November 2010
Colegio Pensamiento, located in Cali, was started on 26 August 2005.
The flag of Colegio Pensamiento, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is divided white-light-blue-green along the ascending diagonal. The white triangle covers half of the flag, while the blue and green stripes are of equal height, one half of the flag's hoist. White represents the human being as a person and his/her required transparency. Light blue represents the greatness and immensity of heavens, as well as the importance of education in the institute. Green represents the natural environment and the contrast experienced by the human being facing the world.
Ivan Sache, 8 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 01 July 2014
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-white with the
institute's emblem in the middle. The colours are those of the flag of the
Colombian Police. Green represents hope and force, while white represents
energy, purity and peace.
The emblem of the institute features two arrows pointing upwards, as a symbol of cooperativism, an open book, as a symbol of knowledge, the torches of science and liberty, and a star representing the "police civic emphasis".
Ivan Sache, 01 July 2014
"Fundación Gimnasio Pereira" is a girls' institute
located at Pereira, Department of Risaralda.
The institute was founded on 11 February 1947 by Arturo Vallejo, Manuel Mejia, Manuel Uribe and Pablo Ramirez. After the death of the first Director of the institute, Carlota Sánchez Marín, on 26 August 1958, the institute was transformed into a foundation to avoid an economical crisis. The patron of the institute is St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus.
The flag of the institute was adopted after a competition won by Beatriz Toro (student in 1947-1957). The flag is beige with a red saltire and the coat of arms of the institute in the middle. On the photo of the flag, the coat of arms is tilted to the upper left corner (so that its vertical axis is parallel to the descending diagonal of the flag). The flag is 1.06 m x 2.40 m, the width of the arms of the saltire being 10 cm.
Beige represents force, vigor and hope, while red represents unity and love.
The flag shall be equipped with red tassels.
The first flag was made by the "RR. MM. Adoratrices" (I guess, religious) of the town of Pereira.
The coat of arms of the institute was created by Jorge Roa Martínez. The shield is vertically divided blue (for the feminine grace, elegance and seriousness) and red (for love, solidarity and social democracy) and crossed by a yellow bend (for the precious gift of science and knowledge) charged with the black letters "G" and "P" (for "Gimnasio Pereira").
A white swan placed in the lower part of the blue field represents the feminine grace; a white tower masoned black placed in the upper part of the red field represents virtue.
The shield is surmonted by a white scroll charged with the motto (in Spanish) "POR LA GRACIA Y LA VIRTUD" (For Grace and Virtue).
Source: Institute website
Ivan Sache, 13 April 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 30 July 2014
The flag of Liceo Campestre de Pereira (Risaralda Department) is vertically
divided blue-white-green. The flag, designed by Sebastián Buitrago Corredor, was
selected in an internal contest organized in 2002. Blue represents the student's
growing process towards the development of intelligence and skills. Yellow
represents the spiritual resources. Green represents aspiration by all to a
better and peaceful Colombia.
Source: http://www.liceocampestredepereira.edu.co/?page_id=68&lang=es - Institute's website
The flag is represented with the institute's emblem, which was adopted only in 2006, in the middle, but the flag in actual use does not bear the coat of arms, either.
Photos (June 2012): http://noticampestre-lcp.blogspot.fr/2012/06/semana-del-4-al-8-de-junio-de-2012.html
Ivan Sache, 30 July 2014