Last modified: 2017-09-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 4 January 2004
Colegio del Espíritu Santo was established on 28 November 1957 in Buga (Valle
Department) by the Marist Brothers, led by Friar José Bolaños Rodríguez. The
building of the school was supported and funded by several notables of the town,
led by Alejandro Domínguez Molina. Classes started on 13 October 1958. On 25
March 1968, Narciso Cabal Salcedo retired from the direction of Gimnasio
Central del Valle, which he offered to the corporation that ruled Colegio del
Espíritu Santo. The Clerics of San Viator, a congregation established in 1838 by
Louis Querbes, were granted the management of the institute from 1968 to 1972.
Later on, the institute was ran jointly by the corporation and by the Diocese of
Buga; on 23 June 1994, the institute was renamed Colegio Diocesano Gimnasio
Central del Valle and fully transferred to the Diocese.
Source: http://www.gcv.edu.co/ - Institute's website
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided yellow-white-green. Yellow is a symbol of the human, intellectual, and spiritual resources of the students, and of the whole educational community. White is a symbol of peace and healthy social interaction to be maintained inside the whole educational community, and of the spiritual purity provided by God. Green is a symbol of aspiration of the students to integral education and personal excellence, as well as of permanent love and preservation of the natural, historical, and cultural environment.
Source: http://www.gcv.edu.co/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=8 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 14 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 18 November 2014
Institución Educativa Técnica Valle de Tenza is located in Guateque (Boyacá
Department). The institute is named for the Tenza Valley, which spreads over the
Boyacá and Cundinamarca Departments. Colegio Departamental Femenino Valle de
Tenza was established by Departmental Decree No. 195 of 6 March 1963. The
institute was renamed Colegio Nacionalizado Valle de Tenza in 1999 and Colegio
de Educación Básica y Media Técnica Valle de Tenza by Resolution No. 1,774 of 10
June 1998. Institución Educativa Técnica Valle de Tenza was eventually
established by Resolution No. 1,829 of 26 July 2002 as the merger with
Concentración Urbana Alianza.
The symbols of the institute are described in the Institute's Educational Project as follows.
The flag is horizontally divided green-red-white. The green stripe symbolizes faith and the aspiration of the youth to the emergence and increase of integrity, respect, order, honesty, loyalty, efficiency and responsibility in the institute's classrooms. The red stripe recalls that life is a sacrifice and that the achievement of goals requires relentless struggle and work. The white stripe means the purity of the deep and imponderable souls, minds and hearts coated with inextinguishable virtues and skills.
The emblem was designed by the teacher José Antonio Salas. The diagonal white stripe is inscribed with the institute's motto, "CIENCIA Y VIRTUD" (Science and Virtue). The upper quarter is red with an open book and a quill, while the lower quarter is green with an oil lamp. The white bordure of the emblem is inscribed with the name of the institute and of the town.
Source: http://www.tecnicavalledetenza.edu.co/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=33&Itemid=22 - Institute's website
The flag in actual use is charged in the middle with the institute's emblem.
Ivan Sache, 18 November 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 30 December 2008
Translation from Universidad del Valle (Cali, Valle del Cauca)
"The Valle University adopts a flag design possing as a basic feature a great symbolic force, giving red as a representative color. The flag design shows three equalsized vertical bars, in order: red, white, red; representing the three basic activities of the University: Teaching, Research and Extension. In the central white bar the Logo is placed in red. The flag must be used in every important events for the University as one of its representative symbols".
Carlos Thompson, 27 May 2003
The logo of the university, shown on the flag, is presented on
website as follows. "The logo is inscribed in a perfect
square with an inner structure made of nine square modules
forming the symbolic element "UV", which appears
inverted in relation with the square and colour scheme in which
it is inscribed.
The logo is complemented in its lower part by the name of the institution, in Helvetica Bold font, placed above a thin red horizontal stripe aimed at forming a stable, vertical rectangle."
Ivan Sache, 30 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 09 July 2011
"Colegio Bilingüe de Valledupar" is located in Valledupar (Cesar Department).
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is horizontally divided blue-white-red. The colors represents Valledupar, England and the USA, as well as the two official languages of the institute, English and Spanish.
The flag is indeed the same as the flag of Valledupar.
Ivan Sache, 09 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 15 November 2010
Escuela Urbana de Varones Mariano Ospina Rodríguez, located in Chinácota
(Department of Norte de Santander), was founded, as Escuela Pública de Varones ,
on 29 January 1908 by Eliseo Delgado and Antonio Bautista. In 1913, the
Municipal Council (Decree No. 5) granted a plot where the new Escuela Modelo de
Varones would be built and the required funding; the new building was
inaugurated on 10 January 1914. Subsequently changed to Escuela de Varones No.1.
(1931) and Grupo de Varones Antonio Ricaurte (1942), the name of the institute
was restored to Escuela Modelo de Varones in 1952. In 1960, it was renamed for
President of the Republic Mariano Ospina Rodríguez (1857-1861), whose government
supported educational institutes in Colombia.
The flag of Escuela Urbana de Varones Mariano Ospina Rodríguez is described on the institute's website as horizontally divided light blue-white-green, with dimensions 1.50 m x 1.75 (that is, proportions 6:7). Light blue means the nobleness of the children's' spirit and triggers reflection, and evokes as well the immensity of the sky and the sea. Considered as a cold color, blue keeps a strong force, tranquillity and freshness that pushes to the background the negative feelings of sadness, depression and loneliness. White, the color of the central stripe, symbolizes the purity of the children's' spirit, evoking both the children and their teachers; it is also the symbol of peace. Green, the color of the third stripe, means hope that the alumni will be future contributors of a new, better homeland. Designed by Alicia Rubio de Durán, Edgar Emiro Lemus, Hermelina Buitrago de Camacho and Nancy Camacho Buitrago, the flag was hoisted for the first time on 11 November 1989, during the opening ceremony of the celebration of the Diamond Jubilee of the institute.
Ivan Sache, 15 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 26 June 2014
Colegio Venecia is located in the Venecia borough, part of the municipality
of Tunjuelito (Capital District).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-blue with the institute's emblem in the middle. White is a symbol of liberty, peace and purity. Blue is a symbol of justice, truth and loyalty.
Source: http://www.colegiovenecia.edu.co/index.php/simbolos/bandera - Institute's website
The emblem of the institute is made of a shield shaped according to the heraldic Hispano-American tradition. The eagle represents the New Kingdom of Granada and the town of Santafé de Bogotá; the eagle means that the institute directly depends of the Secretariat of Education of the Bogotá Special District. The eagle is a symbol of liberty, activity and swiftness. The book is a symbol of humanities, sciences and technology. St. Mark's lion with an halo and an open book, here St. Mark's Gospel, are the symbols of the town of Venice. The institute adopted the symbol of Venice to highlight friendship with the town of Venice, to indicate open-mindedness to universal culture, and to recall the Christian heritage. The lion is a symbol of power, vigilance and protection.
Blue is a symbol of justice, truth and loyalty.
Black is a symbol of firmness, rigor, rectitude and prudence.
Gold is a symbol of light, constancy and knowledge.
Silver is a symbol of integrity and self-control.
Green is a symbol of hope, friendship, respect and service.
Red is a symbol of fight, strength and joy
Source: http://www.colegiovenecia.edu.co/index.php/simbolos - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 26 June 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 07 August 2014
Institución Educativa Departamental Venecia is located in Venecia
The flag of the institute is vertically divided green-white-green with the institute's emblem in the middle.
Source: http://ievenecia.blogspot.fr/2012/11/himno-colegio-venecia-normal-0-21-false.html - Institute's blog
Ivan Sache, 07 August 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 08 July 2011
"Institución Educativa Versalles" (INEVE) originates in "Liceo Anexo
Versalles", a secondary seat of "Liceo Tomás O. Eastman" founded on 15 March
1974 (Decree No. 352) in the village of Versalles, Santa Bárbara (Antioquia
Department). Subsequently known as "Concentración Educativa Versalles", the
institute was renamed in 1996 "Colegio Versalles". It took its current name on
25 October 2002.
The flag of INEVE is described on the institute's website as horizontally divided blue-white-green.Blue means nobleness, loyalty, watch, as well as the highest sky above the mountains.White means purity, integrity, obedience, firmness, watch, eloquence, innocence and virginity, as well as the clouds covering the mountains and separating the sky from the green mountains. Green represents hope, abundance, liberty, faith, friendship, service and respect, as well as the local vegetation and agriculture.
The symbols (flag and emblem) were designed by Juan Carlos Cardona Corrales, Willian Fernando Cardona Corrales, Marco Aurelio Castañeda Suaza, Luz Mery Corre Quirama (d.), Dora Luz Quintero Serna and Martha Elcy Rios Rendon. The symbols (including the anthem) were officially inaugurated in October 1986.
Ivan Sache, 08 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 07 September 2014
Institución Educativa Comunal de Versalles (IECOV) was established in
Magangué (Bolívar Department) by Departmental Ordinance No. 20 of 29 November
2002, as the merger of Concentración Educativa Comunal de Versalles,
Concentración Mixta Barrio Sur, Concentración Mixta Ezequiel Atencio Campo,
Preescolar Municipal Ilusión, Escuela Municipal Mixta Costa Azul, and Escuela
Municipal Buenos Aires.
The flag of IECOV is horizontally divided yellow-white-green. Yellow is a symbol of energy supplied by the sun, honour, loyalty, originality, and intelligence. White is a symbol of light, peace, perfection, and safety. Green is a symbol of harmony, as the colour of natural environment, of growth, fertility, freshness, hope and renovation.
Source: http://www.iecov.edu.co/simbolos.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 07 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 10 November 2010
Colegio Vicente Azuero, based in Floridablanca (Department of Santander), was
created on 12 February 1979 by Decree No. 012. By Decree No. 12461 of 28 October
2002, Instituto Juan Pablo I, Instituto Andres Bello and Instituto Rio Frio were
incorporated to Colegio Vicente Azuero, which was renamed Colegio Técnico
Vicente Azuero. The institute is named for the Colombian lawyer, politician and
journalist Vicente Azuero Plata (1787-1844).
The flag of Colegio Técnico Vicente Azuero is blue with a white triangle placed along the hoist and charged with the emblem of the institute.
The emblem of Colegio Técnico Vicente Azuero is made of a shield with a white triangle pointing upwards flanked by two blue triangles pointing downwards, charged with the white writing "VICENTE" (left) and "AZUERO" (right). The white triangle is charged with a silhouette seemingly wearing a toga, standing on a yellow book or stand, and the black writing "FLORIDABLANCA". The shield is surmounted by a white scroll charged with the black writing "COLEGIO TECNICO". Another white scroll placed below the shield is charged with the black writing "SABIDURIA" (left, "Knowledge") / "LIBERTAD" (right, "Liberty").
Ivan Sache, 10 November 2010
Blue is a symbol of depth, greatness and immensity. White is a symbol of
spirit, of immaculate soul and pure thoughts.
The emblem has a traditional, heraldic shape, but also a modern shape meaning struggle and honour. It features a person raising the right arm, as a symbol of high and noble ideals, which are obtained through knowledge and science, represented by the book.
A photo of the flag is available on the institute's website - http://www.colvicenteazuero.com/eventos/galeria/533_941.jpg
Ivan Sache, 10 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 29 September 2014
Institución Educativa Victor Zubiría was established in 1974 in Colosó (Sucre
Department) by the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of Mary Help of Christians, a
congregation founded by St. Maria Bernarda Bütler (1848-1924; canonized on 12
October 2008 by Pope Benedict XVI). The institute is named for the local
educationalist Víctor Manuel de Zubiría Rossi (1873-1958).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-white-blue (1:2:1).
Green is a symbol of hope, natural environment, and fields. White is a symbol of poverty, peace, and personal force. Blue is a symbol of transparency, space, liberty, and rivers.
Source: http://inevizu.galeon.com/ - Institute's blog
Ivan Sache, 29 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 05 September 2017
Liceo Victoria Regia was established in 2003 in Mocao (Putumayo) by Olga Daza
Díaz and Nubia Daza Díaz. The name of the institute was coined by William Daza
Díaz, who maintains links with the sacred world of plants and spirits. The yagé
shamanic beverage (aka ayahuasca) inspired him the name of the biggest species
of water lily, native to the Amazon river. Originally named "Victoria regia"
in 1807 by John Lindley, the Queen Victoria's water lily is now known as "V.
amazonia" (Poepp.) J.C. Sowerby, based on an earlier description of the
Source: Institute's website
The flag of Liceo Victoria Regia is horizontally divided green-yellow. Green represents the power of the natural environment and its greatness. Yellow represents knowledge, health and tenderness.
Source: Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 05 September 2017
image by Ivan Sache, 15 September 2014
Institución Educativa Villa del Socorro is located in Medellín (Antioquia
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-white-green. Blue is a symbol of peace, peaceful social interaction, sincerity, and solidarity. White is a symbol of tranquillity, calm, fraternity, solidarity, and peace. Green is a symbol of hope, natural environment, and harmony.
Source: http://ievilladelsocorro.jimdo.com/informacion-institucional/simbolos/ - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 15 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 7 January 2009
"Colegio Eucarístico de Bogotá 'Villa Guadalupe'"
was founded on 20 January 1941 by nuns of the congregation of the
Mercederian Sisters of the Blessed Sacrement led by Mother María
de la Eucaristía Carmona. Founded on 20 March 1910 in Mexico
City by María del Refugio Aguilar Torres, Guadalupe Hernández
and María Olivares as "School of the Blessed
Sacrament", the congregation was canonically approved on 12
November 1922 by the archbishop of Mexico City as "Sisters
for the Blessed Sacrament Apostolate", and eventually
approved on 22 July 1948 by Papal "decretum laudis",
under its present name. The congregation has today 60 houses, 7
of them being located in Colombia.
The flag of the institute, as shown and described on the website of the institute, "to be used with elegance and pride during the community events", is horizontally divided white-dark red ("vino tinto", lit., "red wine").
White represents purity, reflecting an ideal of virtue and integrity, to be reached through rectitude, honesty and loyalty.
Dark red represents a deep meaning of Eucharist (as the wine shared by Jesus with the disciples during the Last supper) : sacrifice and love to get liberation through solidarity.
Ivan Sache, 7 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 23 October 2014
Escuela Normal Superior de Villahermosa (Tolima Department) was originally
established as Colegio del Rosario, renamed Colegio Oficial para Señoritas in
1935, and transformed into Escuela Normal Rural by Decree No. 962 of 21 December
1944. Escuela Normal Superior de Villahermosa was eventually established in
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-green with the institute's emblem in the middle.
Ivan Sache, 23 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 06 September 2017
Colegio Nacionalizado Femenino de Villavicencio was established in
Villavicienco (Meta) on 20 December 1955 by Decree No. 321.
Source: Institute's website
The flag of Colegio Nacionalizado Femenino de Villavicencio is horizontally divided gray-red with a white triangle placed along the hoist and the institute's coat of arms all over.
Gray is a symbol of sobriety.
Red is a symbol of vital strength.
White is a symbol of purity.
The coat of arms forms a laurel wreath, a symbol of the aspiration and achievements of the studying youth.
The central disk, gray and red like the flag, is a symbol of union and fraternity among educators, students and the community. The open book and the quill are symbols of science, apostolate and consecration.
Source: Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 06 September 2017
"Escuola Normal Superior de Villavicienco" was
created on 20 December 1955 by the National Intendance of Meta
(Decree No. 321) as "Escuela Normal Rural de Meta Santa
Teresita del Niño Jesus".
The flag of the institute, according to a photo shown on the presentation leaflet of the institute, is horizontally divided white- red with the emblem of the institute in the middle.
The emblem of the institute, a white disk with a grey outline and a thicker red border, shows two open hands surmonted by a torch "going through" an open book. The base of the torch is charged with three interlaced yellow, blue and red rings. The name of the institute is written in red capital letters in the upper part of the disk. The emblem shown on the flag shows minor difference with the emblem shown graphically on the leaflet.
Ivan Sache, 11 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 7 November 2004
The Instituto Virrey Solis was founded in Bucaramanga on 3
February 1941 by members of the Franciscan Community. Its goal
was to provide poor children with a religious, moral and material
education. The first director of the Instituto was Friar Emilio
Bautista Lozano (1941-1944). The flag of the Colegio is
horizontally divided yellow-red with the coat of arms of the
Colegio in the middle. Yellow and green are the colours of the
municipal flag of Bucaramanga. Yellow stands for the treasures of
knowledge, science, feelings and values. Green stands for the
hope that the youth educated in the Colegio will build a new
society mainly based on justice and peace; green also staznds for
the love of nature, the legacy of the patron saints of the
ecologists, St. Francis of Assise. The crown above the shield
stands for the man who gave his name to the Collegio, the Virrey
Solis (the Sun Vice-Roy?), and symbolizes leadership. The collar
surrounding the shied has three knots symbolizing the three vows
of obedience, poverty and chastity done by the members of the
community that rules the Colegio. Over a background with the
colours of our flag (yellow and green), the cross symbolizes the
Christian denomiunation of the Colegio. An arm holding a torch
appears from the bottom of the shield, expression learning,
knowledge and enlightment. The scroll below the shield bears the
Colegio's motto Virtud y Ciencia (Virtue and Science),
which are the basis of the education in the Colegio. The anthem
of the Colegio has its third stanza dedicated to the flag of the
Collegio: "Como un campo de esmeralda que la aurora
en luz bano, verde y oro, sacro emblema nuestra ruta ilumino.
verde y oro! flota altivo Nuestro fúlgido pendón: Esperanza y
luz del cielo que ilumina el corazón!" (Like a field
of emeralds Bathed in the light of dawn, Green and gold, sacred
emblem illuminate our way Green and gold! May our ? banner flay:
Hope and light of the sky Which illuminate the heart!).
Ivan Sache, 7 November 2004