This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Vyšší Brod (Czech Republic)

Český Krumlov okres, South Bohemian region

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: vyssi brod |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




See also:

Vyšší Brod flag

[Vyssí Brod flag] by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 23 Nov 2001, after image by Peter Exner. Flag adopted 14 Jun 2000

The first written mention of the town is from 1259. The settlement existed before the founding of the monastery. The monastery was founded in 1259 by Peter Wok von Rosenberg on one of the old trade routes. It gradually acquired property through its supporters, and after the Rosenbergs died out became completely financially independent of its protective nobility seated at the Český Krumlov castle. In 1422, the monastery became the target of one of the Hussite army's military campaigns. After the abolition of feudalism, the economic and political significance of the monastery fell, and its activity was limited to religious affairs
and taking care of its own properties. In the 1950's Vyšší Brod lost its status as a town, but regained this status by Czech Parliamentary decision on July 1, 1994. Population (1996): 2557.
Info from this website.
Jarig Bakker, 24 Nov 2001


Vyšší Brod Coat of Arms

[Vyssí Brod Coat of Arms ] image from this website, located by Jarig Bakker, 24 Nov 2001

The township received its seal on May 18, 1528 from Jan von Rosenberg, confirmed by Peter Wok von Rosenberg on May 14, 1608.
Description: On a red shield is a red castle stone tower with a 3-shadowed battlement between two silver rotund towers. Each tower has a gate below, above it two square windows next to each other, and a larger window above. The towers peak at 3-shadowed battlements and a black pointed roof. Between the towers is a silver shield with the Rožmberk five-petaled rose with a golden center and green calixtine leaves.
Info from this website.
Jarig Bakker, 24 Nov 2001