This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Blatnice pod Svatým Antonínkem (Czech Republic)
Hodonín okres, South Moravian region
Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: blatnice psa |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Jarig Bakker, 5 Oct 2004
adopted 21 Jun 1999
Blatnice pod Svatým Antonínkem flag
Image after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapori obcí ČR (1999)
- Blatnice pod Svatým Antonínkem, Hodonín district, South Moravian region
- adopted 21 Jun 1999.
2 195 inhabitants; The first written record of the village dates back
to 1052, in 1366 it belonged to the Ostroh domain. Until the 18th century
there were three ponds around the village. Intensification of agriculture
and viticulture gradually changed the countryside. Waterfowls and hydrophytes
disappeared being replaced by vineyards, fields and pastures. Famous vineyards
used to be owned by Jesuits from Uherské Hradiště. J. A. Komenský owned
a vineyard here in the 17th century as well.
At the beginning of the 20th century the village was famous for its
folk art - manufacturing of mats and bags from bulrush.
Blatnice wine cellar Presently there is a protected area of wine cellars
called Pod Starou horou producing mainly mellow white wines, the best-known
of them being Blatnický Roháč.
The dominant of the village is a parish church of St. Andrew from 1717
with altar-piece by J. Úprka painted in 1887. A Tuscan column dedicated
to the Virgin is another precious monument.
Well-known pilgrimages to the St. Antonínek hill have started after
the Thirty Years' War, the chapel was built by Hatman from Lichtenstein
in 1668 motivated by his Italian wife Eleanor who was an admirer of Antonín
from Padua. The first pilgrimage is mentioned in 1671. The chapel was closed
during the reign of Josef II, opened again in 1815 when emperor František
I allowed local people to restore both the chapel with the stations of
the Cross and the pilgrimages.
Info from this site.
Jarig Bakker, 5 Oct 2004
Blatnice pod Svatým Antonínkem Coat of Arms
by Jarig Bakker, 5 Oct 2004, after image on this