This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Velká Polom (Czech Republic)

Ostrava okres, Moravian-Silesian Region

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: velka polom | linden |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:

Velká Polom flag

[Velká Polom flag] by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 3 May 2002, after image by Petr Exner; flag adopted 9 Dec 1996

Number of inhabitants by 31.12. 2000: 1571. The first written trace dates back to 15 May 1288. The village is situated in a bulge of the Nízké Jeseníky mountains on halfway between Opava and Ostrava on the E11 road. Since the foundation the village was in possession of Premonstratensians from Hradiště u Olomouce. Then, it became possession of the family of Donát. The post office in the village was opened as early as under Emperor Josef II. In 1872 a primary school, being one of the most modern in Silesia, was built in the village. A nursery was opened in 1918. Nitre was mined until 1864. In 1870, a brewery was founded in the village. In the 20th the brewery was replaced with a distillery. In 1945 the village was almost completely destroyed and built again. Sights in the village include the church (kostel sv.Václava). Next to the church there is the oldest linden in Silesia.
Source: this website.
Jarig Bakker, 21 Apr 2002.


Velká Polom coat of arms

[Velká Polom coat of arms] image from this website., located by Jarig Bakker, 21 Apr 2002.