This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Rychnov nad Kněžnou (Czech Republic)

Rychnov nad Kněžnou okres, Hradec Králové region

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: rychnov nk |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




See also:

Rychnov nad Kněžnou flag

[Rychnov nad Kněžnou flag] by Jarig Bakker, 2 May 2001

The correct flag of Rychnov nad Kněžnou is horizontal white over green over red (2:1:2).
Jan Zrzavy, 2 May 2001

The district town of Rychnov nad Kněžnou is a regional center of tourism, culture, and industry. The original settlement of Rychnov nad Kněžnou dates back to the first millenium B.C., although the present-day town has its origins in the 11th century. Heřman of Drnholec, owned the settlement between 1258-67, at which time Rychnov was already a small town along the trade route to Kladsko and Slezsko. In 1488 King Vladislav Jagellonský granted the quickly growing Czech town an official emblem and the right to host two annual fairs. In the middle of the 15th century the town and its surroundings became a retreat for the Unitas Fratrum. Ownership of the domain changed frequently during the Counter-Reformation. Eventually, on the site of a former wooden castle, Kryštof of Neyenperk built a monumental late-Gothic Church of the Holiest Trinity, later completed with a remarkable Baroque facade by J.B. Santini. After the Thirty Years War, Rychnov came into the possession of the Libštejnští family of Kolovraty, who built an impressive Baroque palace with a picture gallery and began construction of a royal riding school. Until the middle of the 19th century, the town maintained its medieval character: old wooden houses, butcher shops on the square, and trade guilds. It wasn't until 1848 that capitalist enterprise began to take hold. (Info from this site.)
Jarig Bakker, 4 Jan 2001


Rychnov nad Kněžnou coat of arms

[Rychnov nad Kněžnou coat of arms] image from this site.