This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Lanškroun (Czech Republic)

Ústí nad Orlicí okres, Pardubice region

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: lanskroun |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Lanškroun municipality flag] by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 1 Aug 2001
adopted 2 Sep 1994 See also:

Lanškroun municipality flag

Image based on Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (199-1994) - Lanškroun, Ústí nad Orlicí district, Pardubice region - adopted 2 Sep 1994.
The town of Lanškroun is situated in the foothills of the Eagle Moutains (Orlicke hory), on the Bohemian - Moravian border. It's a developing industrial town populated by 10 000 dwellers. The town was probably founded in the second half of the 13th century due to a huge medieval colonization of uninhabited border areas. Under the Czech king, Premysl Otakar II, the lords of Drnholec established the town as centre of the large Lanškroun and Lansperk's estate. The first record of the town's existence dates back to 1285, when the Czech king Vaclav II's stepfater, Zavis of Falkenstejn, became the owner of the entire estate. From 1304 Lanškroun was held by the Zbraslav Monastery and then by the Litomysl bishops. One of them, Petr Jelito, founded the Monastery of Augustinians in the town in 1371. Later it was rebuilt into a small manor house. After the Hussite wars (1420-1434) Lanškroun was held by the lords of Postupice, Pernstejn (1507), Harasov and after the battle of Bila Hora (1620) by the counts of Liechtenstein. New German settlers, coming after the Thirty Year's War, established a German administration in the town. During this war Jan Marek Marku (Johannes Marcus Marci, 1595-1667), the most important native of Charles' University in Prague. In the middle of the 19th century Lanškroun was promoted to a district town (with a district court). This was the beginning of its industrialization and cultural development.
Source: this website.
Jarig Bakker, 21 Sep 2002

Lanškroun Coat of Arms

[Lanškroun Coat of Arms] image from this website.