Last modified: 2015-05-10 by pete loeser
Keywords: siebenbürger sachsen |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
9:4 Image by Jens Pattke - Flag adopted 1932On this page:
Jens Pattke reported in the German vexillology mailing list about the flag of one of the Landsmannschaften (territorial or country associations) of Vertriebene (refugees from former German territories or formerly German-inhabited regions in Eastern Europe). He explained that the Landsmannschaft of the Transylvanian Saxons use a blue-red hanging flag (Banner) with the coat-of-arms. This was adopted 1932 and shows simply seven towers on a blue-red per pale field, thus different from the former Austro-Hungarian imperial and royal crown land of Transilvania (see for instance
Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website).
Santiago Dotor, 12 June 2001
Editorial note: The name "Transylvania" means "beyond the forest" seen from Romanian core regionsof in Wallachia and Moldavia. It includes Criş?ana, Maramureş, and Romanian part of Banat and Siebenbürgen proper. The name "Siebenbürgen", meaning "seven castles" refers to the seven German fortified cities of Bistritz (Bistriţa), Hermannstadt (Sibiu), Sächsisch Regen (Reghin), Kronstadt (Braşov), Mediasch (Mediaş), Mühlbach (Sebeş) and Schässburg (Sighişoara). Thus the arms are canting displaying seven golden castles on a shield divided per pale into blue and red.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 Mar 2015