This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Traunstein County (Oberbayern District, Bavaria, Germany)

Landkreis Traunstein

Last modified: 2012-03-31 by german editorial team
Keywords: landkreis traunstein | traunstein county | coat of arms: per pale (dragon: blue) | coat of arms: per fess (eagle: black) | coat of arms: per fess (castle: white) | scroll (orange) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Traunstein County (Oberbayern District, Bavaria, Germany)] 5:2
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 21st March 1955, confirmed 14th May 1976

See also:


Traunstein County had no flag until the 1972 municipal reform, when parts of Laufen county were annexed. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000.

Stefan Schwoon, 11 July 2001

Uses an unofficial flag, white-blue stripes with the coat-of-arms and scrolls saying Landkreis Traunstein. My drawing is made according to a photo made by Erich Dieter Linder. The flag has no chance of being officially approved since the combination of white-blue stripes is reserved for the Bavarian state flag. Still, this kind of design seems to be commonplace for municipalities without an official flag. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.

Stefan Schwoon, 25 September 2001

Adopted ca. 1989, according to Dirk Schönberger's Administrative Divisions of the World website, quoting Erich Dieter Linder as source, with the comment, "ohne Genehmigung in Gebrauch" ("used without [administrative] authorisation"). From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

The arms were granted on March 21, 1955 and confirmed on May 14, 1976. The panther is derived from the arms of the Counts of Krainburg-Ortenburg, of the Spanheim dynasty, who owned several estates in the area in the early Middle Ages. They founded in 1255 the town of Trostberg. The eagle is derived from the arms of the diocese of Chiemsee. The lower left quarter shows the canting arms of the Abbey of Baumburg ('tree-castle'), that ruled a large part of the northern part of the county.

Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.

Santiago Dotor, 24 May 2002