This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Gunzenhausen County until 1972 (Mittelfranken District, Bavaria, Germany)

Landkreis Gunzenhausen

Last modified: 2012-03-31 by german editorial team
Keywords: landkreis gunzenhausen | gunzenhausen county | coat of arms (barry: red-yellow) | coat of arms: bend sinister (black) | coat of arms: bendlet sinister (wavy: yellow) | coat of arms (fishing hook) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Gunzenhausen County until 1972 (Mittelfranken District, Bavaria, Germany)]
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 8th March 1956, flag adopted 27th February 1967, abolished 30th June 1972

See also:


Yellow-black, adopted 27.02.1967. The county was united with Weissenburg to form the new county Weissenburg-Gunzenhausen during the 1972 municipal reform. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.

Stefan Schwoon, 21 August 2001

From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

The arms were granted on March 8, 1956.

The [administrative] county is made up of two former areas in the County of Brandenburg-Ansbach. The two areas, Gunzenhausen and Hohentrüdingen adopted symbols in 1718/19, which are combined in the new arms. The Gunzenhausen area used a bend with a fishing hook, whereas Hohentrüdingen used the arms of the Counts of Truhendingen, who became extinct in 1424. The latter arms were used in the colours of Brandenburg-Ansbach, silver and black.

Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.

Santiago Dotor, 30 July 2003