Last modified: 2012-03-31 by german editorial team
Keywords: landkreis passau | passau county | coat of arms: chief (lozengy) | coat of arms: chief (bavaria) | coat of arms: per pale (wolf: red) | coat of arms: per pale (wolf: rampant) | coat of arms: per pale (bars: wavy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 22nd March 1968, abolished 30th June 1972
Red-white-blue, adopted 22.03.1968. The county was united during the 1972 municipal reform with Griesbach, Wegscheid and parts of Vilshofen county. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 13 July 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The old arms were granted in 1968. The arms show in the upper part the lozenges of Bavaria, as the county became a part of Bavaria in 1803. Before, it belonged to the Passau Abbey and this is symbolised by the wolf of Passau. The three waves symbolise the three rivers in the county, the Donau (Danube), Inn and Ilz.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 19 June 2003