This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cuxhaven County (Germany)

Landkreis Cuxhaven, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: cuxhaven(county) | st.nicholas | base(wavy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Cuxhaven County flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 16 Dec 2007
adopted 9 October 1979 See also:

Cuxhaven County

county seat: Cuxhaven
area: 2,072.6 km²
population: 205,276
divisions: 58 municipalities, incl. 53 in 9 Samtgemeinden(comprehensiive municipalities), 1 city, 3 towns
Jörg Majewski, 16 Dec 2007

Wesermünde County (1932 - 1974)

[Wesermünde County flag (1957 - 1974)] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 July 2017

The county was established by a merger of former Lehe and Geestemünde counties in 1932. The seat was Wesermünde city, established in 1924 by merger of former Lehe and Geestemünde cities. In 1939 Bremerhaven was incorporated into Wesermünde city. In 1947 Lower Saxony ceded the city to Bremen. It was renamed and the "new" name was Bremerhaven. Between 1967 and 1974 the number of municipalities was reduced from 97 to 34 by mergers of smaller municipalities. On 1 August the county was dissolved. The counties of Wesermünde and Land Hadeln merged with the countyfree city of Cuxhaven and established the new Cuxhaven county.
The flag was a green over white horizontal bicolour. It was approved in 1957.
Sources: German WIKIPEDIA and Stadler 1964, p.95
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 July 2017

Cuxhaven County Coat of Arms

[Cuxhaven County arms] image by Jörg Majewski, 16 Dec 2007

arms adopted 11 June 1979
Additions : 1977 Land Hadeln, Wesermünde
The arms were approved on 11 June 1979. The arms show St. Nicholas, patron saint of seafarers and coastal people. The saint was part of the arms of the Land Hadeln district and a popular saint in many villages in the district. The coastline and the many dikes in the area are symbolised in the base of the arms.
Source: Linder and Olzog, 1996.
Jörg Majewski, 16 Dec 2007

back to Lower Saxony counties and municipalities click here.