Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: landkreis dachau | dachau county | coat of arms (fess: dancetty) | coat of arms (fess: red) | coat of arms: chief (lozengy: white-blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
White-red-white stripes. The coat-of-arms is the same as that of the pre-reform county of the same name.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.25
Stefan Schwoon, 20 Sep 2001
The coat of arms was approved on 10 July 1954 and confirmed on 15 July 1976. The arms indicate the strong ties of the district with the Wittelsbach kin, Dukes and Kings of Bavaria. The lower part shows the oldest known arms of the family, as used until 1229. Since 1125 a branch of the dynasty named itself Counts of Dachau, and became a very influential family. The main branch of the dynasty used since the 13th century the lozenges as shown in the chief. The chief also indicates that Dachau was one of the territories of the Duchy and Kingdom of Bavaria.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.25
Santiago Dotor, 5 Nov 2003
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here