This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ebersberg County (Germany)

Kreis Ebersberg, Oberbayern District, Bavaria

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ebersberg county | boar | pine |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Ebersberg County banner (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 20 Sep 2001
approved 12 February 1986
See also:

Ebersberg County

Green-white stripes. The coat-of-arms is the same as that of the pre-reform county.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.29
Stefan Schwoon, 20 Sep 2001

Here is some interesting stuff on the county flag which I found out while researching flags in Ebersberg county. In 1986, after the adoption of the flag, the county contacted the municipalities in the county, to see if they would join in buying county flags. About half of them bought county flags, but in several different sizes:
- hanging flags (Banner) of 500 cm by 150 cm, 400 cm by 150 cm and 300 cm by 150 cm
- flapping flags (Knatterfahne) of 500 cm by 150 cm
- 'normal' hoisted flags of 150 cm by 250 cm and 200 cm by 335 cm.
They did so obviously because the different municipalities use differently sized other flags (Germany, Bavaria) and bought flags that matched those. However, since 1986 the one or two county flags in most of those municipalities have virtually disappeared. No one knows where they are and no one knows, that they had ever been in existence.
M. Schmöger, 20 Sep 2001

The coat of arms was approved on 31 October 1955 and confirmed on 10 November 1972. The arms are partiallyy canting, a boar (Eber) on a mountain (Berg), and are taken from the arms of the city of Ebersberg, as well as the Counts of Ebersberg. The pine tree has been added as a symbol of the large forests in the northern part of the county. The number of branches was identical to the number of municipalities (= 29) in the county in 1955.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.29
Santiago Dotor, 1 Dec 2003

Ebersberg County Flag

[Ebersberg County flag (Germany)] 3:5image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 23 Mar 2014
approved 12 February 1986

back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here