This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Elbe-Elster County (Germany)

Kreis Elbe-Elster, Brandenburg

Last modified: 2013-11-21 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: elbe-elster | per fess(9 times) | bull(reguardant) | lion(black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Elbe-Elster county flag] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Nov 2013
approved 24 April 1995 See also:

Elbe-Elster County

Elbe-Elster County Flag

Description of Flag:
The ratio is 2:3. It is a black - yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: 2(3) of Hauptsatzung of Elbe-Elster County, version 7 February 2006
Klaus-Michael Schneider,, 17 Nov 2013

Elbe-Elster County Vertical Flag

[Elbe-Elster county vertical flag] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Nov 2013
approved 24 April 1995

Description of Vertical Flag:
It is a black over yellow horizontalal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: 2(3) of Hauptsatzung of Elbe-Elster County, version 7 February 2006
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Nov 2013

Elbe-Elster County Coat of Arms

Description of Coat of Arms:
The shield is quarterly divided. Above right the field is nine times divided per fess into gold (= yellow) amd black (i.e. ten horizontal stripes). Above left in a silver (= white) field is a red bull passant reguardant, armed golden (= yellow). Below right in a golden (= yellow) field is a black, rampant lion, armed and tongued red. Below left right the field is nine times divided per fess into red and silver (= white).
Source: 2(1) of Hauptsatzung of Elbe-Elster County, version 7 February 2006
Meaning:
The territory of the current county belonged to Saxony for centuries, until it became a part of Prussia in 1815. In order to incorporate the area more quickly, it was split up into two parts, belonging to the Prussian Provinces of Saxony and Brandenburg. These areas were forced to merge within the Cottbus District of the GDR under communist rule in 1952. The lion is taken from the arms of Margraviate of Meißen, the bull of Luckau is alluding to Lower Lusatia (Niederlausitz). The black and golden stripes go back to Saxe-Wittenberg, which existed since the 12th century. The order of stipes, beginning with a golden stripe above, is taken from the arms of the Prussian province of Saxony. The bull is also symbolizing the former subcounties (Ämter) of Doberlug, Finsterwalde und Sonnewalde. The colours white and red in the fourth field are those of Brandenburg. Source: county's webpage

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 24 April 1995 by the State of Brandenburg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Nov 2013


back to Brandenburg County and Municipal Flags click here.