Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: gedern | pales(2) | trout |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a red-white-red vertical triband with ratio of stripes approx. 1:4:1. The coat of arms is slightly shifted to the top within the central stripe.
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approval unknown
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Shield Gules two pales Argent, each charged with a trout Gules, both trouts being respectant to one another.
Gedern gained city rights in 1356 by the Lords of Trimberg, but they remained defunct for a long time. In 1535 the city became a dominion of the Counts of Stolberg . The branch named itself Stolberg-Gedern, and their descendents became Princes of Stolberg-Gedern in 1742. After 1804 the city was a dominionion of the Stolberg-Wernigerode branch. As no old arms were known, the arms were devised in 1926 and show the fish of the arms of the Stolberg dynasty. They are placed on the oldest known arms of the Lords of Trimberg. Having considered to be a market town Gedern regained the title of a city in 1935.
The arms were approved in 1926 by Minister of Interior of Hesse.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.36
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 May 2017
back to Wetterau Cities and Municipalities Page click here