Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: tettnang | dog |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Description of banner:
It is a black - white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: this webpage
Description of coat of arms:
In a silver (= white) shield is a black, rampant dog, tongued red and wearing a golden (= yellow) dog collar with an annulet of the same colour.
Tettnang was established in 1280 as a market town by Count Hugo of Montfort and gained city rights in 1297 from King Adolf of Nassau. The oldest seal dates from the late 14th century and already shows a dog, which had been chosen arbitrarily and hence is considered as a symbol of municipal autonomy. The origin or meaning of the dog is unknown.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.102
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Jun 2013
back to Bodensee cities and municipalities click here