This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Garmisch-Partenkirchen County (Germany)

Kreis Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Oberbayern District, Bavaria

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: garmisch-partenkirchen county | tierced per pile | griffin | moor's head | lozengy(white-blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Garmisch-Partenkirchen County banner (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 21 Sep 2001
approved 20 November 1972
See also:

Other sites:


Garmisch-Partenkirchen County

White-red-yellow. The county remained unchanged by the 1972 municipal reform. The banner was officially approved on 20 November 1972, but in unofficial use before. Note the moor's head from the bishopric of Freising which ruled the area until 1803.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.37
Stefan Schwoon, 10 July and 21 Sep 2001

The coat of arms was approved on 11 September 1962 and confirmed on 20 November 1972. The lion with the head of a griffin is taken from the arms of the Monastery of Steingaden, and is taken from the lion of the Welfen kin, who had large possessions in the area in the Middle Ages. The moor's head is taken from the arms of the Bishops of Freising. The bishops aqcuired in the 13th century the county Werdenfels, which they ruled until 1803. The lower part shows the arms of Bavaria.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.37
Santiago Dotor, 12 July 2003


back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here