This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

County of Oberbergischer Kreis (Germany)

Oberbergischer Kreis, Northrhine-Westphalia

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: oberbergischer kreis | markian chequered bar | castle(silver) | embattled | lion(red) | crowned |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Oberbergisch County flag] 1:3  image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Jun 2011 See also:

Flag

Description of flag:
The ratio is 1:3. It is a red over white horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the hoist.
Source: attachment to 2 of Hauptsatzung of the county, version 12 November 2009
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Jun 2011

Banner

[Oberbergisch County banner]
image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Jun 2011

Description of banner:
The ratio is 4:1. It is a red - white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: attachment to 2 of Hauptsatzung of the county, version 12 November 2009
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Jun 2011

Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per pale. The dexter side shows in a red field a silver (=white) castle with two embattled towers of different height. The sinister side shows a red, rampant lion in a silver (=white) field, crowned, armed and tongued blue. The golden (=yellow) chief is divided by a Markian chequered bar composed of red and white squares.
Meaning:
The elements are symbolizing the former rulers of the different parts of the county district. The lion is symbolizing the counts of Berg, who owned Amt Windeck, to which also belonged the Waldbröl area. The chequered bar is symbolizing the counts of Mark, who owned Amt Gimborn-Neustadt, which became a lordship of the counts of Schwarzenberg under direct imperial rule in 1630. Finally the castle the lords of Homburg, symbolizing the part of the district, which belonged to the Princes of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.
The seat of the county is Gummersbach. Former Gummersbach county and a part of former Waldbröl county had been united in 1932.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.68 and county's webpage
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Jun 2011

The coat of arms was granted by Prussian ministry of state on 16 July 1938.


back to index of Northrhine-Westphalia county-free cities and counties page click here