This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Günzburg County (Germany)

Landkreis Günzburg, Schwaben District, Bavaria

Last modified: 2020-01-01 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: guenzburg county | krumbach county | demi-eagle | couped per pale | sinister bendy | pale(golden) | base | fess(wavy) | per fess(thrice) | bezants(3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Günzburg County banner (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 23 Aug 2001
See also:

Günzburg County

It iss a red-yellow-red vertical triband. The coat of arms iss shifted to the top. In 1972 Günzburg county was enlarged by the previously independent city of Günzburg and Krumbach county during the 1972 municipal reform and adopted new symbols. From 1972 until 1973 the newly formed county had the name Günzkreis
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996.


Stefan Schwoon, 23 Aug 2001

From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
"The new arms were granted on 19 April 1973. The new arms combine the silver demi-eagle from the arms of Krumbach county with the pale and bends sinister from the old arms."
Literature: [presumably Linder and Olzog 1996].
Santiago Dotor, 11 Feb 2004

Günzburg County Banner until 1972

[Günzburg County banner 1972 (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 23 Aug 2001

It was a red-yellow-red vertical triband. The coat of arms was shifted to the top.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.41
Stefan Schwoon, 23 Aug 2001

The arms are mainly based on the arms of the Counts of Burgau, a golden pale superimposing a field divided 5-times per bend sinister into silver and red. They owned the largest part of the county until 1301, when it became an Austrian possession. In 1805 the area became part of Bavaria and the Bavarian colours are used for the base of the shield. The base shows the Donau [Danube] river, which runs through the county.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.41
Santiago Dotor, 31 July 2003

The old flag was approved on 12 May 1967. The old coat of arms was approved on 27 September 1962.
Santiago Dotor, 31 July 2003

Krumbach County Banner until 1972

[Krumbach County banner 1972 (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 24 Aug 2001

It was a white-red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms was shifted to the top. The county became a part of Günzburg county during the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.53
Stefan Schwoon, 24 Aug 2001

The old coat of arms was approved on 22 May 1962. The arms are a combination of the arms of the Lords of Schwabegg-Ursberg (silver demi-eagle) and the Lords of Freyberg (fesses and bezants). The first family founded two monasteries in the county, which played a major role in its history. The Lords of Freyberg owned for a long time the Estate Niederraunau in the county.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.53
Santiago Dotor, 31 July 2003

The old flag and coat of arms were approved on 22 May 1962.
Santiago Dotor, 31 July 2003


back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here