This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Birkenau Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Birkenau, Landkreis Bergstraße, Darmstadt District, Hesse

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: birkenau | birch | millrind |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Birkenau municipal banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 29 June 2006
approved 27 August 1976 See also:

Birkenau Municipality

The banner is off-centred quartered of white and red. The coat of arms is on the common point of all quarters.
inhabitants 10,419
Bergstraße County
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved on 27 August 1976
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 29 June 2006

Coat of Arms

Shield Gules, an eradicated birch tree Argent, superimposed by a H-shaped millrind Argent.
The canting birch (German: Birke) already appeared on the oldest known court seal of the municipality from 1591. The symbol in front of the tree is of unknown origin. It may have been used as a local symbol in connection with the Heppenheim Marshes. Acc. to the municipal administration it is a millrind. The colours red and silver are those of the Archbishopric of Mainz.
The arms were approved on 22 July 1926.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.23
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 18 May 2017

back to Bergstraße Cities and Municipalities Page click here