This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Market Town of Salzhemmendorf (Germany)

Flecken Salzhemmendorf, Kreis Hameln-Pyrmont, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: salzhemmendorf | per pale | lion(silver) | lion(golden) | bordure |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Salzhemmendorf flag] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Nov 2013
approved 1984 See also:

Market Town of Salzhemmendorf

Salzhemmendorf Flag

Description of flag:
It is a red over yellow horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: §2(2) of Hauptsatzung of the market town of Salzhemmendorf, version 15 December 2011
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Nov 2013

Salzhemmendorf Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per pale. The dexter side displays a silver (= white), rampant lion, crowned and tongued red, in a blue field. The sinister side displays a golden (= yellow), rampant lion, armed and tongued blue, in a red field. The red field has a bordure of alternating blue and silver (= white) pieces.
The municipalities of Ahrenfeld, Benstorf, Hemmendorf, Lauenstein, Levedagsen, Ockensen, Oldendorf, Osterwald, Thüste, Wallensen and Salzhemmendorf proper merged in 1973. The borough of Wallensen gained even city rights already in 1351 for a while. Hemmendorf gained market rights and the rank of a town in 1629. Salzhemmendorf is first mentioned in 1022 and then had already a saline. A salt cooking and purification facility was established in the village in 1588 by Duke Julius. The silver lion is taken from the arms of the Counts of Everstein; the other lion is taken from the arms of the Counts of Homburg, which erected Lauenstein Castle around 1226. Both had been local rulers of parts of the current municipality in the past. The stripes of the flag have the main colours of the former coat of arms of the city.
Source: Ralf Hartemink's haeraldry webpage

The coat of arms and the flag were approved in 1984.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Nov 2013

back to Hameln-Pyrmont cities and municipalities click here