This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Holzminden county (Germany)

Landkreis Holzminden, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: holzminden |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Holzminden County flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 26 Dec 2007
Flag adopted 12 Oct 1951

See also:

Holzminden county

County: Holzminden
county seat: Holzminden
area: 692.48 qkm
population: 76,888
divisions: 32 municipalities, incl. 30 in 6 Samtgemeinden*, 4 towns
*A "Samtgemeinde" (SG*), also called "collective municipality" is a combination of several municipalities to an administrative community  in Lower Saxony.
Jörg Majewski, 26 Dec 2007

CoA

[Holzminden County arms] image by Jörg Majewski, 26 Dec 2007
adopted 24 Jul 1950

HOLZMINDEN
Origin/meaning:
The arms were granted on 24 July 1950.
The arms show the lion of the Counts of Everstein, who ruled the area and founded the city of Holzminden in the 14th century. Some parts of the district belonged until 1409 to the Lords of Homburg. From the end of the 13th century the Dukes of Braunschweig gradually acquired the whole district, but their arms (also a lion) were not included in the arms. The wavy bar shows the Weser river. See also the arms of Hameln-Pyrmont County.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
Source: Ralf Hartemink.