Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: lueneburg |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 30 Dec 2007
Flag adopted ?
The arms were granted on 15 January 1927.
The arms are one of the oldest district arms in the country. The district is practically identical to the former Duchy (later Principality) of Lüneburg. The Dukes of Lüneburg were of the Welfen dynasty, that used a lion as its arms. The lion in the right part of the arms is the lion of the Welfen in opposite colours. The hearts in the left part are taken from the Danish national arms. Duke Wilhelm of Lüneburg married in the 14th century Princess Helene of Denmark. The lion thus can also represent the Danish lion.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
Source: Ralf Hartemink.