Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: landsberg county | eagle(golden) | lion(red) | chief | lozengy(white-blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Yellow-red. The county was largely unchanged by the 1972 municipal reform and kept its symbols: arms and flag were confirmed on 3 October 1972.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.55
Stefan Schwoon, 10 July and 21 Sep 2001
The coat of arms was approved on 9 October 1953 and confirmed on 3 October 1972. The arms combine in the lower part the golden eagle on red of the Counts of Diessen-Andechs and the red lion on silver of the Welfen kin. The former owned large areas in the eastern part of the county, whereas the latter had possessions around Lechrain in the Nothwest. The colours are not original, they are the colours of the Bishops of Augsburg, as the county belonged to the diocese of Augsburg. The chief displays the lozengy arms of Bavaria and the Wittelsbach kin, who acquired the region from the two other families during the 13th century and extended the Landsberg to a fortified city.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.55
Santiago Dotor, 12 July 2003
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here