Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: selters(taunus) | quartered | bottle | hammer and mallet | crozier | swan |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The banner is quartered off-centred of white and red with the coat of arms on the intersection point of all quarters.
administration seat: Niederselters
Gießen District , state Hesse
banner approved on 28 May 1984
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 3 Sep 2006
Shield quartered; 1st quarter Gules a bottle Argent in bend, 2nd quarter Argent a cross staff Gules and a crozier Gules crossed per saltire, 3rd quarter Argent hammer and mallet Gules, 4th quarter Gules with base wavy Argent and Azure, thereon a swan najant Argent.
There is no confirmed information available, but probably each quarter represents one of the former municipalities as follows: the bottle for Niederselters, staff and crozier for Münster, hammer and mallet for Eisenbach and the swan for Haintchen. In Niederselters very fine mineral water is produced. The name Selters in Germany even is a synonym for mineral water in general. Münster means "church", and hammer and mallet are symbolising mining.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Apr 2017
The village of Niederselters had been a dominion of the Archbishopric of Trier from 1368 until 1802, when it became part of Nassau. Already in court seals from the 16th century a shield, charged with the cross of Trier appeared, issuant from shield was St. Christopher, the local patron saint, with Jesus Child. When the village was overhanded to Nassau, local seals displayed the famous local fountain, its well house and women bearing water jars. Since 1867 the fountain was represented by a sitting man pouring water out of a jar. In 1956 just the jar pouring water remained. The water is symbolising the 750 years old name Salttrise (= saltwater), referring to the salina, which gave international reputation to the village since the 18th century.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.70
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 May 2017