Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: hochheim am main | cross(blue) | cross(patty) | star | anchor | hook |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
White-blue-red vertical tricolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top and crowned by a mural crown Argent with three visible towers.
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved 1963
Sources: details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission and Stadler 1967, p.50
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 25 July 2006
The shield is parted by a cross Azure, 1st quarter Argent a cross patty Gules, 2nd quarter Gules a wine carrier's wheel Argent (looks like a facetted 6-point star), 3rd quarter Gules an anchor overturned Argent, 4th quarter Argent a hook Gules.
The oldest seals of the town since 1598 displayed St. Martin as the patron saint, combined with the arms of the diocese of Mainz, to which the village belonged. The original village sign probably was a cross, as a cross was also used on boundary stones and buildings. Whether the main cross, or the cross in the first quarter is derived from the village sign is not clear. The cross can also refer to the diocese of Mainz, to which the village historically belonged. The anchor is symbolising the shipping on Main River, Hochheim was an important harbour. The meaning of the star is not known, but a local story exist describing the star as a "Schröter's wheel". Schröters were the wine carriers, who carried wine from cellar to cellar and to and from the ships in the harbour. According to the legend a large star-shaped wheel and strong rope were used locally by the carriers to lift and carry the wine barrels. The star-shaped wheel became their symbol and thus a star was placed in the arms. The hook is a tool used in wine making and thus is symbolising further the importance of viticulture in the area. The current arms, which were officially approved in 1908, are based on an old roof-tile of the local church dating from 1775. On this tile the arms had been painted.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.50
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Apr 2017
back to Main-Taunus Cities and Municipalities Page click here