This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Mittelsachsen County (Germany)

Landkreis Mittelsachsen, Saxony

Last modified: 2020-01-07 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: mittelsachsen | freiberg(county) | mittweida(county) | doebeln(county) | lion(black) | hammer and mallet | lozenges(3) | inescutcheon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Mittelsachsen county flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Jan 2020 See also:

Mittelsachsen County

Mittelsachsen (= Central Saxony) County was established by merger of the former counties Döbeln, Freiberg and Mittweida on 1 August 2008.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Jan 2020

Mittelsachsen County Flag

It is a black-yellow horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole der sächsischen Landkreise nach der Kreisreform von 2008", Dresden 2010, pp.40-42
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Jan 2020

Mittelsachsen County Banner

[Mittelsachsen County banner] 2:1 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Jan 2020

It is a black-yellow vertical bicolour with centred arms.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole der sächsischen Landkreise nach der Kreisreform von 2008", Dresden 2010, pp.40-42
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Jan 2020

Mittelsachsen County Coat of Arms

Shield quartered, 1st quarter Or a lion rampant Sable armed and tongued Gules, 2nd quarter Sable hammer and mallet Or in saltire, 3rd quarter Or three bars wavy Azure, 4th quarter Or three lozenges Sable ordered 2:1.
Meaning:
The black lion of the Margraviate of Meißen from the Wettin kin had been already part of the arms of all former counties of Mittelsachsen. Hammer and mallet are the symbols of mining, which existed for centuries in the area, especially silver mining in the former Freiberg County. The waves are taken from the arms of former Mittweida County. The lozenges are taken from the family arms of the Burgraves of Leisnig, who ruled the Pleißenland, a territory under direct imperial rule, as representatives or reeves of the emperor between 1158 and 1329, when the burgraviate was acquired by the Margraves of Meißen.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole der sächsischen Landkreise nach der Kreisreform von 2008", Dresden 2010, pp.40-42
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Jan 2020

Flag, banner and arms were adopted on 10 June 2009 by the county council and approved in August 2009 by district director of Chemnitz, published in Mittelsachsenkurier Abl. des LK Mittelsachsen 12/09 p.2
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Jan 2020


Freiberg County (until 2008)

Freiberg County Flag

[Freiberg county flag] 3:5  image by Jörg Majewski, 4 Feb 2007

It is a black-yellow horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, pp.76-77
Jörg Majewski, 4 Feb 2007

Freiberg County Banner

[Freiberg county banner] image by Jörg Majewski, 4 Feb 2007

It is a black-yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, pp.76-77
Jörg Majewski, 4 Feb 2007

Freiberg County Coat of Arms

[Freiberg county CoA] image by Jörg Majewski, 4 Feb 2007

Coat of Arms:
Shield parted per fess, above Or a demi lion issuant Sable armed and tongued Gules, beneath Sable hammer and mallet Or in saltire.
Meaning:
The tinctures and the demi lion are symbolising that the area was ruled by the Margraves of Meißen. Hammer and mallet are symbolising mining of silver, lead, tin and zinc in the area during many centuries.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, pp.76-77
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Jan 2020

Flag and banner were approved on 18 December 1996. The arms were approved on 10 September 1996.
Jörg Majewski, 4 Feb 2007


Mittweida County (until 2008)

Mittweida County Flag

[Mittweida county flag]
adopted 1 Dec 1995 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 10 Feb 2007

It is a blue-yellow horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.95
Jörg Majewski, 10 Feb 2007

Mittweida County Banner

[Mittweida county banner] image by Jörg Majewski, 10 Feb 2007

It is a blue-yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.95
Jörg Majewski, 10 Feb 2007

Mittweida County Coat of Arms

[Mittweida county CoA] image by Jörg Majewski, 10 Feb 2007

Shield Or three bends Azure, in upper sinister corner a lion rampant Sable armed and tongued Gules.
Meaning:
The lion is representing the Margraves of Meißen from the Wettin kin, whose branch line of Groitzsch-Rochlitz (1156-1215) had its seat in Rochlitz Castle. The bends are symbolising the landscape, especially the rivers Zwickauer Mulde, Chemnitz and Zschopau.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.95
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Jan 2020

Flag, banner and arms were approved on 1 December 1995.
Jörg Majewski, 4 Feb 2007


Döbeln County (until 2008)

Döbeln County Flag

[Döbeln county flag (-2008)] 1:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 10 Feb 2007

It is a green-white vertical bicolour with centred arms.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.75
Jörg Majewski, 10 Feb 2007

Döbeln County Banner

[Döbeln county banner (-2008)] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski and Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Jan 2020

It is a green-white vertical bicolour with centred arms.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.75
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Jan 2020

Döbeln County CoA

[Döbeln county CoA (-2008)] image by Jörg Majewski, 10 Feb 2007

Shield parted per pale, at dexter Or a lion rampant Sable armed and tongued Gules, at sinister parted per pale of Argent and Vert, charged with an inescutcheon Or, displaying a castle Sable with port and windows Or, three different towers with roofs Gules and two dexter facing flags Gules on the embattled wall.
Meaning:
The dexter half displays the arms of the Margraves of Meißen from the Wettin kin. The tinctures of the sinister half are those of Saxony. The inescutcheon displays the slightly modified city arms of Döbeln
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.75
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Jan 2020

Flag and banner were approved on 7 December 1998. The arms were approved on 31 August 1993.
Jörg Majewski, 10 Feb 2007


Rochlitz County (until 1994)

Brief History of Rochlitz County

The territory was ruled in the Medieval by the Counts of Rochlitz. They died out in 1210 and the Wettin kin became their successors. In 1874 it had been established by a diminishment of the 2nd entity of Leipzig, ruled by a district captain (German: Amtshauptmann). The new entity then had been more or less the territory of the pre-1210 county. In 1924 Mittweida became a county-free city, was however reincorporated in 1946. In 1952 the county was diminished again and divided into the counties Rochlitz proper, Hainichen and Geithain. A minor portion became part of Chemnitz County. In 1994 the county was incorporated into Mittweida County except three municipalities, which joined the Muldental County.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 jan 2020

Rochlitz County Flag


[Rochlitz county flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Jan 2020

It was a white-green horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Source: painting of Falco Schmidt, based on an information given by Erwin Günther
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Jan 2020

Rochlitz County plain Banner

[Rochlitz county plain banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Jan 2020

It was a white-green vertical bicolour, i.e. actually the same as the Saxonian civil banner.
Sources: 2(2) of Hauptsatzung of Rochlitz County, version 26 September 1990 and Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.98
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Jan 2020

Coat of Arms

Shield Or three chess rooks Sable ordered 2:1.
Meaning:
The chess rooks (German: Rochen) are considered to be canting elements. The pattern was first used by the Knight Heinrich of Rochlitz in 1329 and Heinrich of Königsfeld, a member of the Rochlitz kin. The county adopted these arms. Although the background tincture wasn't mentioned, it is assumed that it had been already golden. The shape of shield and rooks slightly changed. The current version was introduced in 1990. Since 1365 two half rooks also appeared in seals of the city of Rochlitz. Finally in 1598/1602 the Saxonian historian Petrus Albinus (probably Latinised from German Peter Weiß) painted first the arms of the counts in the current tinctures.
Sources: 2(1) of Hauptsatzung of Rochlitz County, version 26 September 1990 and Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.97
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Jan 2020

The former version of the arms was in use from 1948 until 1963. The current arms were adopted in September 1990 by the county council, together with the plain banner. The flag with centred arms was.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Jan 2020


back to County and Municipal Flags (Saxony / Sachsen) click here.