Last modified: 2017-11-11 by german editorial team
Keywords: cloppenburg |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Image by Stefan Schwoon
Flag adopted 17 Oct 2000; arms granted on 3 Sep 1959
Jörg Karaschewski reports in the German mailing list the flag of Cloppenburg County (Lower Saxony), adopted 17 Oct 2000.
Santiago Dotor, 22 Nov 2004
Some additional info: Flag of the Landkreis Cloppenburg, in Lower Saxony: horizontally blue over red with in the center the coat of arms. Proportions: 3:5. Adopted 17 Oct 2000.
From Ralf Hartemink's site: The arms were granted on September 3, 1959. The arms shows the arms of the former rulers of the district. The water lily leaves in the third quarter are taken from the arms of the Counts of Tecklenburg, who founded the city of Cloppenburg in 1296. Around 1400 the bishops of Münster acquired the area, and ruled the district until 1803. The arms of Münster are shown in the fourth quarter. The upper two quarters are derived from the arms of Oldenburg, as the district belonged to Oldenburg from 1803-1946.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
Jarig Bakker, 22 Nov 2004
The colors blue and red are probably derived from the historical
H.v.Heijningen, 14 Oct 2006