This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Municipality of Großhansdorf (Germany)

Gemeinde Großhansdorf, Kreis Stormarn, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: gr.hansdorf | rider | mountain(3-peaked) | fess(wavy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Großhansdorf flag#1] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 23 Aug 2006
approved 27 August 1974 See also:

Municipality of Großhansdorf

Großhansdorf Municipal Flag#1

Description of flag#1: The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag. The rider has no black lining and the base ends with the fess wavy.

Großhansdorf Municipal Flag#2

[Großhansdorf flag#2] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Feb 2013

Description of flag#2:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag. The rider has black lining and is a bit smaller. At the bottom the complete base of the shield is displayed.
Source: I spotted the 2nd flag on 26 Nov 2007 in Hamburg in a model kit fair.

Großhansdorf Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a green field is a silver (= white) mounted rider dressed in 16th century style. His horse is standing upon a golden (= yellow) three-peaked mountain on the base, which is divided by a blue fess wavy.
Großhansdorf belonged to the Free and Hansa City of Hamburg from 1437 to 1937. It was administrated by Hamburg's Rural Districts Autjority (hamburgische Landherrenschaft). Together with Schmalenbeck and other municipalities Großhansdorf had been part of the wood villages (Walddörfer). The communication between the city and the villages was maintained by mounted messengers, the so called wood-riders. They are symbolized by the rider in the shield. The riders had originally been a symbol for all wood-villages. The green colour is symbolizing the riches of grove even today. The mountain is symbolizing the hilly landscape and the fess wavy is symbolizing riches of water.
Sources: Reißmann 1997, p.155 and Stadler 1970, p.100

The flag was approved on 27 August 1974. The coat of arms was approved on 29 November 1961. The artist is E. Rietze from Hamburg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Feb 2013

back to Stormarn cities and municipalities click here.