Last modified: 2013-12-14 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ortenau county | eagle(double-headed) | eagle(black) | inescutcheon | st.george |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Red-white with the arms. Sources: Falko Schmidt, arms from Stadler 1964.
Stefan Schwoon, 26 Mar 2001
Adopted 30 December 1987, according to Dirk Schönberger's Administrative Divisions of the World website. From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms are identical to the former county arms of Offenburg and were confirmed on 31 August 1973.
Literature: Linder and Olzog 1996.
The Offenburg arms were based on the arms of the Kanton Ortenau of the League of Imperial Knights (Reichsritterschaft), that also showed the Imperial Eagle with the patron saint on an inescutcheon. At least 7 villages and 20 castles were owned by the League until 1806. The rest of the county was owned by Austria, as well as some local rulers. It also includes the Imperial Cities of Offenburg and Gengenbach. As a combination of symbols for all these territories would be impossible, it was decided to use the arms of the largest rulers.
Source: Stadler 1964-1972, p.70
back to Baden-Württemberg counties and municipalities click here