This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Oldenburg-Land Subcounty (Germany)

Amt Oldenburg-Land, Kreis Ostholstein, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2019-12-17 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: oldenburg-land | goehl | gremersdorf | groszenbrode | heringsdorf(ostholstein) | neukirchen(ostholstein) | wangels | barn | grain(ear) | heather | herring | church | linden trees(2) | nettle leaf | antlers |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Oldenburg in Holstein flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 18 Aug 2006
flag of the city Oldenburg (Holstein), the seat of the subcounty See also:

Göhl Municipality

Göhl Municipal Flag

[Göhl municipal flag] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Dec 2012

It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Dec 2012

Göhl Municipal Coat of Arms

In the centre of the golden (= yellow) shield is a green plant of heather, having three branches with altogether 22 red blossoms. On the base is a "valley", a wavy line of green over blue divided by a narrow silver (= white) line.
Meaning:
The village was first mentioned in 1317 as "Gola" (a Slavic word meaning "heather"). Thus the plant is a canting element. It belonged since the 15th century to Schwebek mansion near Putlos. In 1910 the village became a municipality, then still named "Goel" and renamed "Göhl" in 1937. The "valley" is symbolising the green land and the Oldenburg Moat at the southern border of the municipality.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 17 June 2010. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Dec 2012


Gremersdorf Municipality

Gremersdorf Municipal Flag

[Gremersdorf municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 18 Aug 2006

It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Dec 2012

Gremersdorf Municipal Coat of Arms

In a green field stands a silver (= white), round barn flanked by two golden (= yellow) ears of grain. The blue base, superimposed by a silver (= white) fish, is separated by a silver (= white) fess wavy.
Meaning:
The municipality was established in 1928, when the estates of Bollbrügge and Friedrichsthal with their 13 villages had been dissolved. The barn is located in the settlement core of Bollbrügge and is an important cultural monument, unique in Schleswig-Holstein. The green colour and the grain are symbolising agriculture. Fish and blue colour are symbolising the location on the shores of the Baltic Sea.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

The flag was approved on 18 July 2005. The coat of arms was approved on 24 January 2005. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Dec 2012


Großenbrode Municipality

Großenbrode Municipal Flag


[ flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 18 Dec 2019

It is a white flag with centred arms.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 18 Dec 2019

Großenbrode Municipal Coat of Arms

Shield Azure, under a nettle leaf Argent in chief two flails Or in saltire, flanked by three 6-point stars Or.
Meaning:
The flails are representing agriculture as main business line and the strive for independence of the local farmers, who had been free before 1639, when they became peasants of a nearby estate. The three stars are representing fishing, shipping and tourism as additonal business lines in the nearby past. Before a bridge connected Fehmarn Island with the mainland, a ferry service had been in Großenbrode, "Brode" means "ferry", connecting the municipality with Burg upon Fehmarn. As the ferry was owned by the sovereign, the Duke of Holstein, the nettle leaf from Holstein was added to the arms.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.152
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 18 Dec 2019

The flag has never been approved officially. The arms were approved on 2 February 1989. The artists are H. Bogs from Großenbrode and Uwe Nagel from Börmermühle.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 18 Dec 2019


Heringsdorf Municipality

Heringsdorf Municipal Flag

[Heringsdorf municipal flag] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Dec 2012

It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Dec 2012

Heringsdorf Municipal Coat of Arms

In a golden (= yellow) field is a red finial having the form of a cross. On the blue base is a silver (= white) herring. Base and main field are divided per fess wavy.
Meaning:
The fish is a canting element. The blue colour is symbolising the Baltic Sea. The yellow colour is symbolising agriculture. The finial is alluding to the fact that the village belonged to the monastery of St. John in Lübeck for nearly seven centuries.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 20 January 2009. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Dec 2012


Neukirchen Municipality

Neukirchen Municipal Flag

[Neukirchen municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 1 Apr 2006

It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Dec 2012

Neukirchen Municipal Coat of Arms

The shield is divided per fess wavy. Below in a silver (= white) field is a red church between two green linden trees. Below in a blue field are two golden (= yellow) ears of grain.
Meaning:
The church is the parish church of Neukirchen and gave the municipality its name. The church was dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua and was built in 1244/1245. The linden trees are symbolising a ring of these trees surrounding the church. The ears of grain are symbolising agriculture. The blue colour is symbolising the location on the shores of the Baltic Sea.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

The flag was approved on 24 November 2000. The coat of arms was approved on 12 October 2000. The artist is Hella Beckmann from Neukirchen.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Dec 2012


Wangels Municipality

Wangels Municipal Flag

[Wangels municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 13 Aug 2006

The flag is quarterly divided into white and red. The quarters on the flyend are slightly broader. The coat of arms is placed upon the intersection point of the quarters.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Dec 2012

Wangels Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is quarterly divided. Above right is a silver (= white) nettle leaf in a red field. Above left the silver (= white) field is divided by three blue fesses wavy. Below right in a silver (= field) is a green palm of a fallow deer's head. Below left in a red field is a golden (= yellow), sinister bendy ear fo grain.
Meaning:
The fesses wavy are symbolising the Baltic Sea and the numerous local creeks. The palm is symbolising forestal riches and the existence of fallow deer therein. The ear of grain is symbolising agriculture as a main business line. The division into quarters is symbolising the numerous villages and estates, which formed the municipality. There were two phases of settlement in the 20th century: between 1928 and 1939 and between 1950 and 1952. 24 settlement cores had to be united. The biggest of them are Döhnsdorf, Grammdorf, Hans?hn, Hohenstein, Kükelühn, Meischenstorf, Neutestorf, Wangels and Wasbuck. Also part of Wangels are the estates of Karlshof, Testorf, Meischenstorf, Ehlerstorf, Weißenhaus, Friederikenhof, Farve, Charlottenhof and the spa of Weißenhäuser Strand on the shores of the Baltic Sea. Furthermore numerous hamlets and farms are belonging to the municipality of wangels, which is one of the most spacious in Schleswig-Holstein. The nettle leaf shows that Wangels is part of Holstein.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.354

The flag was approved on 6 February 1980. The coat of arms was approved on 19 December 1978. The artist is Hans Frieder Kühne from Barsbüttel.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Dec 2012


back to Ostholstein cities and municipalities click here.