This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Municipality of Grömitz (Germany)

Gemeinde Grömitz, Kreis Ostholstein, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: groemitz | per pale | nettle-leaf | eagle(black) | nimbed |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Grömitz municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 13 Aug 2006
adopted 28 April 1987 See also:

Municipality of Grömitz

Grömitz Municipal Flag

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a white - red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Dec 2012

Grömitz Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms: The shield is divided per pale. The dexter side shows a half silver (= white) nettle leaf in a red field. The sinister side shows in a silver (= white) field a half black, double headed eagle, armed and nimbed golden (= yellow).
The arms are based upon a medieval seal. Grömitz was first mentioned in 1287. Since 1315 a palace of the counts of Schauenburg existed here. The half nettle leaf is representing the counts as former rulers. Since 1322 Grömitz belonged to the Benedictine monastery of Cismar. Grömitz gained city rights according ro Lübeck Laws from 1440 until 1480. The seal was used in this time. The eagle however is not the eagle of the Hansa city of Lübeck. It is the eagle of St.John, the evangelist, who was the patron saint of Cismar monastery.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.150 and Stadler 1970, p.100

The flag was approved on 28 April 1987. The coat of arms was confirmed on 13 July 1938 by Oberpräsident of the Prussian province of Schleswig-Holstein.. The artist is Gustav Adolf Cloß from Berlin.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Dec 2012

back to Ostholstein cities and municipalities click here.