This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Neustadt-Glewe Subcounty (Germany)

Amt Neustadt-Glewe, Landkreis Ludwigslust-Parchim, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

Last modified: 2020-04-23 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: neustadt-glewe(subcounty) | neustadt-glewe | brenz | head | keys(2) | roses(6) | tower | grain(ear) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Neustadt-Glewe city flag] 3:5 image by Stefan Schwoon, 29 Aug 2011
flag of Neustadt-Glewe City, seat of the subcounty See also:

Neustadt-Glewe Subcounty

The subcounty has no proper symbols.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Apr 2020


Municipalities without proper Flags

The municipality of Blievenstorf has no proper flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Apr 2020


Brenz Municipality

Brenz Flag


[Brenz municipal flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Apr 2020

It is a blue-yellow vertical bicolour with centred arms.
Source: Hans-Heinz Schütt:"Auf Schild und Flagge" , Schwerin 2011, pp. 117-118
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Apr 2020

Brenz Coat of Arms

Shield parted per pale, at dexter Or a tower Gules with triangular shaped roof and with port and windows Or, at sinister Azure, two grain ears Or in saltire with awns Sable.
Meaning:
The tower is reminding on the Slavic settlement. The ears are symbolising agriculture, and are also representing the village of German farmers, which followed the first settlement.
Source: Hans-Heinz Schütt:"Auf Schild und Flagge" , Schwerin 2011, pp. 117-118
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Apr 2020

Flag and arms were approved on 18 August 2003 by Minister of Interior of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and published in the Municipal Roll of Arms Mecklenburg-Vorpommern as no.284.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Apr 2020


Neustadt-Glewe City

Neustadt-Glewe Flag

It is a yellow over red horizontal bicolour. At the hoist are two squares in inverted colours. Within the upper red square (canton) are the elements of the coat of arms without shield.
Source: 2(3) of Hauptsatzung of the city of Neustadt-Glewe, version 14 October 2004
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Aug 2011

Neustadt-Glewe Coat of Arms

In a red field is a head of an old man in natural colour wearing a blue collar superimposed by six golden (=yellow) roses. The head is flanked by two golden (= yellow) upright keys, their beards are pointing outward.
Meaning:
The Counts of Schwerin built a castle near the Slavic village of Glewe in 1248. Together with the castle a city was established, which was named simply nova civitas (= new town) in 1248 and nova civitas chlewa(= new town of Glewe) in 1253. In 1358 the city was acquired by the Dukes of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, but it was called simply Neustadt in the following centuries. Since 1926 the city was again called Neustadt-Glewe. The pattern of the arms appeared first on a city seal with print from 1300. There are two theories about the meaning. Some say the bearded main is recognisable by his attributes, the keys, and is thus St. Peter, local patron saint and patron of the fishermen. Others say, the head (Slavic: gleva) is a canting element, referring to the name of the city.
Source: 2(1) of Hauptsatzung of the city of Neustadt-Glewe, version 14 October 2004 and Hans-Heinz Schütt:"Auf Schild und Flagge" , Schwerin 2011, pp.137-139
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Aug 2011 / 22 Apr 2020

The arms were granted on 10 April 1858 by Grand Duke Friedrich Franz II of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. The flag was approved on 8 August 1997 and the arms were confirmed on 9 June 1995 by Minister of Interior of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Both were published in the Municipal Roll of Arms Mecklenburg-Vorpommern as no.75
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Aug 2011


back to Ludwigslust-Parchim cities and municipalities click here