This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Lütjenburg Subcounty (Germany)

Amt Lütjenburg, Kreis Plön, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2020-03-07 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: luetjenburg(subcounty) | behrendsdorf | blekendorf | dannau | giekau | helmstorf | hoegsdorf | hohenfelde(kr.ploen) | hohwacht | klamp | luetjenburg | panker | schwartbuck | troendel | holy bible | millwheel | shingles |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Lütjenburg city flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 29 July 2006
city flag of Lütjenburg, seat of the subcounty See also:

Lütjenburg Subcounty (Amt Lütjenburg)

On 1 January 2008 the former subcounty of Lütjenburg-Land and the city of Lütjenburg establish the new subcounty of Lütjenburg, which becomes the administration seat.
Jörg Majewski, 2 Aug 2006


Municipalities without proper Flags

The subcounty itelf and the following municipalities have no proper flags: Großharrie, Schillsdorf and Tasdorf.
Klaus-Michael Schneider,


Behrensdorf (Ostsee) Municipality

Behrensdorf Municipal Flag


[Behrensdorf (Ostsee) municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 12 Mar 2020

It is an armourial flag (banner of arms).
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 Mar 2020

Behrensdorf Municipal Coat of Arms

Shield parted per pale, at dexter Argent, over two barrulets wavy Azure an impending lighthouse Gules with fire Or, at sinister Gules a grain ear and an oak leaf, both Or in bend sinister and ordered per pale
Meaning:
The village was first mentioned in 1433 as "Bernstorpe" and belonging to the Lütjenburg Parish. It became an independent municipality in 1928 and its name was Waterneverstorf until 1968. The shield parted per pale is taken from the family arms of the Rantzau kin, owners of Waterneverstorf for more than 200 years. The lighthouse is a representation of the Lippe Lighthouse in the Hohwacht Bay. The barrulets wavy are symbolising the Baltic and Großer and Kleiner Binnensee, two local lakes. The ear is symbolising the importance of agriculture and the leaf is referring to the local oak groves, especially in the village of Stöfs.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.86
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 Mar 2020

The arms were approved on 25 May 1990. The flag has never been approved officially and is not mentioned in 1 of the local Hauptsatzung, version 26 April 2014. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 Mar 2020


Blekendorf Municipality

Blekendorf Municipal Flag

[Blekendorf municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 2 Aug 2006

It is a white over blue horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Blekendorf Municipal Coat of Arms

In a blue shield is a silver (= white) mountain superimposed by a red ,closed book. On the cover of the book is a cross fleury fimbriated silver (= white). Above is a silver (= white) rope forming a lying number eight.
Meaning:
The rope is symbolising the eight settlement cores: Blekendorf proper, a village with a church, the manor of Futterkamp, and the villages of Friederikental, Kaköhl, Nessendorf, Rathlau, Sechendorf and Sehlendorf.
The rope is especially representing Sehlendorf, which is derived from "village of ropemakers". The book, a Holy Bible, is an attribute of Sta. Clara, the local patron saint. The church was built by Count Adolf IV after the battle of Bornhlöved. The mountain is representing Kaklöhl, which means "hill (-top)". The colours are those of Schleswig-Holstein.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.91

The flag was approved on 23 September 2004. The coat of arms was approved on 25 January 1993. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013


Dannau Municipality

Dannau Municipal Flag

[Dannau municipal flag] 3:5 image by , 6 Aug 2006

It is an armourial flag (banner of arms).
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Dannau Municipal Coat of Arms

The shield is divided per fess wavy into silver (= white) over blue. Above are an axe and a flail crossed per saltire, both being red. Below is a golden (= yellow) ear of barley flanked by two silver (= white) oak leaves.
Meaning:
Dannau was formed by the villages of Dannau and Gowens in 1928. Axe, flail and ear are symbolising agriculture. The ear is also representing the farm Gerstenkamp, i.e. barley field. The leaves are representing Govens with its groves. The blue colour and the wavy line are symbolising Dannau and the lake with the same name.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.121

The flag was approved on 3 July 2000. The coat of arms was approved on 31 August 1989. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013


Giekau Municipality

Giekau Municipal Flag


[Giekau municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 12 Mar 2020

It is an armourial flag (banner of arms).
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 Mar 2020

Giekau Municipal Coat of Arms

Shield Gules pliers Argent in bend, in sinister chief a 7-point star facetted of Argent and Sable.
Meaning:
The pliers are taken from the family arms of the Ghikow kin, aka Gycowe, a branch line of the Reventlow clan. The Lords of Giekau were first mentioned in 1259. Their seat had been in Neuhaus estate. Until the 18th century estate and village had been a possession of the Rantzau kin. They were succeded by the Hahn family, who owns the estate till now. The pliers are also alluding to the fact that in Giekau there had been a smithy for ages. The star is alluding to the seven parts of the municipality Dransau, Engelau, Fresendorf, Gottesgabe, Ölböhm, Seekrug, Vörstenmoor and Giekau proper.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.144
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 Mar 2020

The arms were approved on 18 September1985. The flag has never been approved officially and is not mentioned in 1 of the local Hauptsatzung, version 29 November 2011. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 Mar 2020


Helmstorf Municipality

Helmstorf Municipal Flag


[Helmstorf municipal flag] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Mar 2020

It is an armourial flag (banner of arms).
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Mar 2020

Helmstorf Municipal Coat of Arms

Shield parted by a bar wavy Argent, abnove Azure a millwheel Argent issuant from bar wavy, beneath Gules the horseshoes Argent ordered 2:1.
Meaning:
Helmstorf is located south of Lütjenburg on the bank of the Kossau, a little local river. It was owned by the Helmstorf kin, who owned an estate and a few villages. In 1275 there had been mentioned the knight Godescalcus of Helmerikstorpe as owner. The watermill is known since 1314, represented by the wheel. The bar wavy is representing the Kossau. The horseshoes are symbolising horse breeding, among others for the dragoons' regiment of Plön. The colours are those of Schleswig-Holstein.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.173
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Mar 2020

The flag was approved on 3 December 2015. The arms were approved on 31 August 1989. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Mar 2020


Högsdorf Municipality

Högsdorf Municipal Flag

[Högsdorf municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 30 Jul 2006

It is a red over blue horizontal bicolour. Both stripes are divided by a broad, white, wavy line (red/blue: 2 ; white: 1). The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Högsdorf Municipal Coat of Arms

The shield is green. Above is a silver (= white) rooted oak with seven leaves and three red acorns. Below are two golden (= yellow) rings of stones ordered 2:1.
Meaning:
The tree is symbolising the vast groves of oaks. The number of acorns is symbolising the settlement cores of H?gsdorf proper and Flehm. The rings of stones are symbolising the early colonization since the Iron Age and the existence of a burial ground in Ruser-Steinbusch.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.178

The flag was approved on 3 February 2001. The coat of arms was approved on 7 January 1993. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013


Hohenfelde Municipality

Hohenfelde Municipal Flag

[Hohenfelde municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 26 Jul 2006

The sheet is divided by an ascending line into two congruent trapeziums: blue (hoist) and white (flyend). In the centre of the flag is the coat of arms. The bend sinister wavy in the shield is continued by the ascending line.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Hohenfelde Municipal Coat of Arms

The shield is divided per bend sinister wavy into silver (= white) over blue. Above right is a red crayfish. Below left is a silver (= white) millwheel.
Meaning:
The wheel is representing the historical watermill, nowadays a technical monument. Crayfish in the past was caught in the local millbrook.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.181

The flag was approved on 23 February 2004. The coat of arms was approved on 21 July 1992. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013



Hohwacht (Ostsee) Municipality

Hohwacht Municipal Flag

[Hohwacht (Ostsee) municipal municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 3 Aug 2006

The ratio is 3:5. It is a blue over white horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Hohwacht Municipal Coat of Arms

In a silver (= white) shield is a blue mountain superimposed by a silver (= white) sailing ship with one mast and without sails. Above upon the chief are four red horseshoes ordered per fess.
Meaning:
The horseshoes are symbolising the former villages of Hohwacht, Haßberg and Schmiedendorf and the manor of Neudorf. They were united in 1928 and formed the municipality of Neudorf, which was renamed in 1963 into Hohwacht. Hohwacht today is a modern spa. Ship and horseshoes are also alluding to the trade between Hohwacht and Denmark up to the 19th century. Horses were exported and grain was imported. The mountain is symbolising a tumulus from the Bronze Age in Schmiedendorf.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.184

The flag was approved on 21 July 1999. The coat of arms was approved on 5 December 1990. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013


Klamp Municipality

Klamp Municipal Flag

[Klamp municipal municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 4 Aug 2006

It is a blue over yellow horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.

Klamp Municipal Coat of Arms

The shield is divided per pall in to golden (= yellow) over red. Above are three green ears of grain. Below is a golden (= yellow) pale. The field below is superimposed by eleven silver (= white) shingles ordred per fess.
Meaning:
The ears are symbolising the settlement cores of Vogelsdorf, Rönfeldholz and Wentorf. The pall is symbolising the Kossau, a local creek. The shingles are a canting element, forming a baulk or clamp. (Lower German: Klamp)
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

The flag was approved on 8 June 2000. The coat of arms was approved on 22 January 1999. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013


Lütjenburg City

Lütjenburg City Flag

The blue dlag has a white horizontal stripe at the top- and bottom edge. The figures of the coat of arms are shifted to the hoist. The silver waves from the coat of arms are blue instead.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Above green and silver (=white) waves is a silver (=white) embattled wall masoned black and streched out over the toal width, which is topped by a tower of the same kind. The tower has a window in its centre shaped like a four-clover leaf. The tower is flanked by two golden(=yellow) 6-point stars. It is topped by two red banners containing three golden (=yellow) 6-point stars ordered vertically. Between the flags is a red shield containing a silver (=white) nettle-leaf being the coat of arms of the counts of Schaumburg-Holstein.
Meaning:
According to Stadler 1970 the coat of arms is based upon a seal mentioned in 1271. Its existence is proven since 1353. It shows the current pattern like another seal dated 1374. It was re-designed in 1948. The stars upon the banners are a misinterpretation of the nettle leaf, the symbol of the counts of Schauenburg (later called Schaumburg)-Holstein. There are presumptions, that the castle of "Luttelinburch", mentioned in 1163, and the Slavic castle of "Liutcha" are identical. After the end of the wars against the Slaves Bishop Gerold of Lübeck built a church, dedicated to St. Michael, in 1156 in "Lutkenborch". Count Gerhard I of Holstein granted city rights in 1275. But the improper location without harbour stopped a further development.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Lütjenburg blue Flag

[Lütjenburg blue flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider , 8 Jul 2007

It is a plain blue flag with the coat of arms in ist centre. The window of the tower in this version is blue.
Note that the spotted flag doesn't match the description given in Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online
Source: I spotted this flag on 2 July 2007 in Lütjenburg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Jul 2007

Lütjenburg Flag reported 1970

[Lütjenburg 1970] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider , 20 May 2011

Flag reported 1970
It is a blue flag containing a white nettle-leaf, the symbol of the counts of Schaumburg-Holstein.
Sources: Reißmann 1997, p.233 and Stadler 1970, p.104
Klaus-Michael Schneider , 20 May 2011

The flag was approved on 25 April 1952. The artists are Wilhelm Horst Lippert, Hans Joachim Maeder and Walter Umnus.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 20 May 2011


Panker Municipality

Panker Municipal Flag

[Panker municipal municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 5 Aug 2006

It is an armourial flag (banner of arms).
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Panker Municipal Coat of Arms

The blue shield is divided by a broad, silver (= white) pale superimposed by a red Neo-Gothic tower with four pinnacles (Fialen). Two triplets of silver (= white) diamonds ordered paly are flanking the tower.
Meaning:
The tower is representing the former Lordship of Hessenstein, a manor district. The diamonds are representing the former villages of Matzwitz, Gadendorf, Todendorf, Darry, Satjendorf and Panker proper.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

The flag was approved on 3 June 1999. The coat of arms was approved on 11 August 1998. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013


Schwartbuck Municipality

Schwartbuck Municipal Flag

[ municipal municipal flag] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

It is an armourial flag (banner of arms).
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Schwartbuck Municipal Coat of Arms

The silver (= white) shield is divided by a blue fess wavy. Above is a red gate-lodge. Below are a black pitchfork and a black flail crossed per saltire.
Meaning:
The building displays the gate-lodge of Schmoel Manor. Christoph Rantzau, the owner, freed the peasants from serfdom in 1688, but his successors reestablished the serfdom. In 1741 the peasants filed a suit but lost in court. This happened again 1768. The army ended the following insurrection of the farmers. Also from 1923 until 1930 there were struggles between the farmers and the landlords. Fork and flail are symbolising all those troubles described above. The fess wavy is symboloizing the local millbrook.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

The flag was approved on 1 March 2012. The coat of arms was approved on 11 April 2011. The artist is Maiga Wehrsig from Schwartbuck.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013


Tröndel Municipality

Tröndel Municipal Flag

[Tröndel municipal municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 10 Aug 2006

The hoist side displays the coat of arms without shield. The flyend is horizontally divided by nine alternating blue and white stripes.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Tröndel Municipal Coat of Arms

The shield is divided per bend sinister into silver (= white) over blue. Two blossoms of yellow flag in counterchanged colours are above right and below left.
Meaning:
The bendy line is symbolising Weddelbek, the creek separating the settlement cores of Emkendorf and Gleschendorf, which formed Tröndel in 1929. In the area are many wet meadows, where the yellow flags (Latin: Iris pseudacorus) grow.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 5 December 2002. The artist is Gisela Gördes from Ascheberg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Found this site by coincidence some time ago: the Tröndel website, showing the arms and the flag. See especially fourth row, picture on the right - the hoist is on the right, actually).
According to this site, the plants are "Wasserschwertlilien", which I found to be "Iris pseudacorus" or "Yellow flag". See here.
Jan Mertens, 16 Aug 2006

Jan, you should know this vexiplant better than me because it is nothing if not the Brussels flower :-)
The epithet "pseudoacorus" means false Acorus. "Acorus calamus" is a reed called by medieval apothecaries"Calamus aromaticus" (aromatic reed) and known in modern English as "Common Sweet Flag", a poetic name coined by H.D. Thoreau.
The Yellow Flag and the Common Sweet Flag do not belong to the same botanical family but they both grow in marshy areas and have similar leaves - but very different flowers.
Ivan Sache, 3 Sep 2006


back to Plön cities and municipalities click here.