This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Gaggenau (Germany)

Stadt Gaggenau, Kreis Rastatt, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: gaggenau | bushel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Gaggenau city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Jun 2013
implicitely approved 7 January 1971 See also:

City of Gaggenau

Gaggenau City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a white - red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: this webpage
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Jun 2013

Gaggenau Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a red shield is a silver (= white) annulet, divided by a silver (= white) bar. The upper half is divided by a silver (= white) pale.
Meaning:
The charge is a stylized bushel. The arms are the old village sign of Gaggenau and they appear first on border stones from 1797. In the 19th century the symbol also appears in or without a shield, in the seals of the municipality. In 1900 the State Archives proposed new arms, based on the rapidly growing industry in the town. The new arms, which showed on the dexter half a demi-wheel and on the sinister half a glass-beaker, both representing the most important industries, were officially adopted in January 1901. In 1938 the arms were replaced by a shield divided per fess, displaying the bushel above and a winegrowers knife, as a symbol of the incorporated municipality of Ottenau, below. In 1958 these arms were modified and the shield then was divided per pale. After a few more incorporations in 1970 the old arms of 1797 were restored.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.43

Banner and former coat of arms were approved on 24 September 1958 by minister of interior of Baden-Württemberg, published in GABl 447/1958. The current arms were approved on 7 January 1971 by minister of interior of Baden-Württemberg, published in GABl 575/1972.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Jun 2013


back to Rastatt cities and municipalities click here