This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Bad Hersfeld City (Germany)

Stadt Bad Hersfeld, seat of Hersfeld-Rotenburg-Kreis, Kassel District, Hesse

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: bad hersfeld | parted per pale | lion(barry) | cross(patriarchal fitchy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Bad Hersfeld city banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 22 Nov 2006
approved 1936 See also:

Bad Hersfeld City

It is a red-white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
inhabitants: 30,475
Hersfeld-Rotenburg County
Kassel District , state Hesse
banner approved in 1936
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.17
Jörg Majewski, 22 Nov 2006

Coat of Arms

Shield parted per pale; at dexter Azure, a sinister-facing lion rampant barry of ten of Argent and Gules, crowned and armed Or; at sinister Argent, a Patriarchal cross fitchy Gules.
The arms are a combination of the lion of Hesse and the cross, which is derived from the arms of Hersfeld Abbey. These arms are known since 1559, when they appear in the seals of the city. Hersfeld was conquered by Count Philipp of Hesse in 1525 and the seals between 1525 and 1559 only showed the lion of Hesse. Before 1525 the city belonged to the Archbishopric of Mainz. The oldest known seal of the city from 1256, probably being older, displays St.Wigbert, the local patron saint. The smaller seals from the 14th century display the two patron saints of Hersfeld Abbey, St. Simon and St. Thaddeus. They each hold a small shield, one with the arms of Mainz, the other with the arms of Hersfeld Abbey. In a later seal only the shield with a cross was placed, without the saints. These seals have been used until 1525. The current arms are described by literature since the 17th century.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.17
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 June 2017

back to Hersfeld-Rotenburg Cities and Municipalities Page click here