This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Ravensburg (Germany)

Stadt Ravensburg, Kreis Ravensburg, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ravensburg | castle | portcullis | crenels | basement | towers(2) | inescutcheon | cross(patty) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Ravensburg banner#1]
[Ravensburg banner#2]
[Ravensburg banner#3]

all images by Klaus-Michael Schneider,2 Nov 2013 See also:

City of Ravensburg

Ravensburg Banners

Description of banner:
It is a blue - white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top. Variant #1(left image) displays the full arms, variant #2 (central image) a simplified version with grey edge, variant #3 (right image) a version with inverted tinctures.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted these banners on 19 July 2003 in the city centre on occasion of the Ruten festival.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Nov 2013

Ravensburg Coats of Arms

[Ravensburg CoA]
[Ravensburg CoA#2,simplified]
[Ravensburg CoA#3, blue]

details around CoAs, all images by Klaus-Michael Schneider,2 Nov 2013

Description of coat of arms:
In a silver (= white) shield is a blue castle with two embattled towers (left image), having three black crenels each and an ajar portcullis. The castle stands on a basement, masoned black. Above the castle impends a blue inescutcheon containing a silver (= white) cross patty. The simplified version (central image) has no lining, two white windows instead of the crenels and the basement isn't masoned. In the version with a white castle (right image) in a blue shield the inescutcheon is replaced by a silver (= white) cross.
The market town was founded by the Guelfs (Welfen) in the 12th century. It became a free imperial city in the 15th century, after the Staufen kin had died out, and was incorporated into Württemberg in 1810. The arms show a castle, which already appeared on bracteates (thin coins) from the 12th century, on seals from the 13th century and on the arms in 1400. The inescutcheon already appeared on a seal from 1270. There are two possible origins for the cross. The first is that they are a memory of Konradin of Hohenstaufen, who was born in the area, and who became King of Jerusalem. Another, more likely, explanation is that the cross is the symbol of Duke Welf IV, who died 1101 and was a crusader and brought a piece of the Holy Cross of Christ to the monastery in Weingarten.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.87
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Nov 2013

back to Ravensburg cities and municipalities click here