This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Weingarten (Germany)

Stadt Weingarten, Kreis Ravensburg, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: weingarten(rv) | lions(4) | sinister facing | grapes(bunch) | inescutcheons(3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Weingarten city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 Aug 2013 See also:

City of Weingarten

Weingarten City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a vertical red - white bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Source: Landeskundliches Informationssystem Baden-Württemberg
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 Aug 2013

Weingarten Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
he shield is quarterly divided. Above right is a silver (= white), rampant, sinister facing lion in a red field, holding a golden (= yellow) shield with a black double-headed eagle. Above left in silver (= white) field is a red, rampant lion holding a red shield divided by a silver (= white) fess. Below right is a red, rampant, sinister facing lion in a silver (= white) field. Below left is a silver (= white), rampant lion in a red field. The golden (= yellow) inescutcheon displays a green grapevine with a blue bunch of grapes.
The village was named Altdorf until 1865, when it was merged with the local monastery of Weingarten. The two lions below are those of the Welfen kin, rulers until 1191. The two lions above are those of Habsburg - the imperial family - holding two inescutcheons with the imperial eagle and the arms of Austria. The village became an imperial village in 1268, a market town in 1377 and finally a city in 1865. The arms with the four lions were first granted by Emperor Karl V in 1555. The area belonged officially to Austria at the time. In 1865 the central inescutcheon was added as a canting element.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.111
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 Aug 2013

back to Ravensburg cities and municipalities click here