This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Rottweil (Germany)

Stadt Rottweil, Kreis Rottweil, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: rottweil | eagle(black) | cross(latin) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Rottweil city banner, black-yellow] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Apr 2013 See also:

City of Rottweil

Rottweil City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a black - yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is slightly shifted to the top and fimbriated yellow.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 14 September 2003 at the local town hall.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Apr 2013

Rottweil Other City Banner

[Rottweil city banner, red-white] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Apr 2013

Description of banner:
It is a red - white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 14 September 2003 at the city museum.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Apr 2013

Rottweil Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a golden (= yellow) shield is a black eagle, armed and tongued red and bearing a golden (= yellow) Latin cross upon his chest.
Meaning:
Rottweil had been a royal location very early and was denoted as a city in 1230 by Emperor Friedrich II of the Staufen kin. The city was self administrated and held the ius gladii, literally the justice of the sword - the supreme level of justice, since 1359. In 1802 the city became part of Württemberg. The oldest seal from the early 13th century and all later seals display the (one-headed) imperial eagle. The small Latin cross (Balkenhochkreuz), probably added to distinguish the arms from similar arms and coins, appeared first in the 16th century. The cross, also denoted as "cross of passion" (of Christ), is the symbol of the main church, dedicated to the Holy Cross. Black - yellow and also red white had been the colours of imperial cities.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.90

The first banner was granted to the city by Pope Julius II the Terrible (1503 - 1513) as a gratitude for military assistance by the city. Julius II also introduced the Swiss guards in 1506 and started the construction of St.Peter in Rome.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Apr 2013


back to Rottweil cities and municipalities click here