This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Bad Bramstedt-Land Subcounty (Germany)

Amt Bad Bramstedt-Land, Kreis Segeberg, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2020-02-07 by peter hans van den muijzenberg
Keywords: bad bramstedt-land | armstedt | bimoehlen | borstel | foehrden-barl | fuhlendorf | groszenaspe | hagen(kr.segeberg) | hardebek | hasenkrug | heidmoor | hitzhusen | moenkloh | wiemersdorf | hoopoe | millwheel | wheelbarrow | farmhouse |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Bad Bramstedt flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 1 Jul 2007
city flag of Bad Bramstedt, the seat of the subcounty See also:

Armstedt Municipality

Armstedt Municipal Flag

[Armstedt municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 24 Jun 2006

It is an armorial flag (banner of arms).

Armstedt Municipal Coat of Arms

Shield red, ending in flames at the white top edge. Shifted to the bottom is a golden (= yellow) hoopoe.
Meaning:
The flames are symbolising troubles and the solidarity of the inhabitants in order to handle them. The hoopoe was very common in the swamps around Armstedt but has nearly disappeared today.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.75

The flag was approved on 6 May 1986. The coat of arms was approved on 10 April 1986. The artist is Uwe Nagel from Bergenhusen.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013


Bimöhlen Municipality

Bimöhlen Municipal Flag

[Bimöhlen municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 26 Jun 2006

It is an armorial flag (banner of arms).

Bimöhlen Municipal Coat of Arms

Shield parted per fess abased, above white a fess wavy blue charged with a red millwheel superimposing the fess, beneath green a golden (= yellow) wheelbarrow fed by bricks of peat.
Meaning:
The millwheel is a canting element. The meaning of the name is "near the mill". The blue line is symbolising the Osterau, the mill brook. The loaded wheelbarrow is alluding to the importance of peat digging and selling as fuel in the past.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 30 January 1998. The artist is Erwin Meier from Hüttblek.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013


Borstel Municipality

Borstel Municipal Flag

[Borstel municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 30 Jun 2006

It is an armorial flag (banner of arms).
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013

Borstel Municipal Coat of Arms

In a green shield is golden (= yellow) hill (source admits that it looks more like a Romanic church window), superimposed by a red farmhouse. Beneath is a branch of holly having three green leaves and six red berries.
Meaning:
The holly is a common species in the area. The farmhouse is a typical example of the type used in Borstel.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 23 November 2004. The artist is Gisela Gördes from Ascheberg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013


Föhrden-Barl Municipality

Föhrden-Barl Municipal Flag

[Föhrden-Barl municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 29 Jun 2006

It is an armorial flag (banner of arms).
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013

Föhrden-Barl Municipal Coat of Arms

In a golden (= yellow) shield is a green mountain, having nearly total height of the shield. The mountain is superimposed by an interrupted, silver (= white) bar wavy. Below is a golden (= yellow) amulet. Above are three silver (= white) leaves.
Meaning:
Barl and Föhrden are located opposite to one another on the banks of the Bramau, a local creek. Both were connected since times immemorial by a ford, symbolised by the interruption of the bar wavy, i.e. the Bramau. Föhrden, in the past covered by oaks and beeches is represented by the leaves, Barl by the amulet. Owner was Wiebeke Kruse, daughter of a local farmer. When the Danish king Christian IV marched through Bad Bramstedt in 1625, he took her with him as a governess of his children. The mountain is also representing Barl, meaning "bald hill".
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 18 November 2002. The artist is Uwe Nagel from Bergenhusen.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013


Fuhlendorf Municipality

Fuhlendorf Municipal Flag

[Fuhlendorf municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 22 Jun 2006

The blue flag is divided by two white, horizontal stripes. Between the stripes is the coat of arms without shield.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013

Fuhlendorf Municipal Coat of Arms

Above in a blue shield is a silver (= white) abbot's crozier, below is a plough of the same colour.
Meaning:
From 1938 until 1959 the village was a part of Wiemersdorf. First mentioned in 1189 the village was a possession of the Cistercian monastery in Reinfeld. This is symbolised by the crozier. The plough is symbolising agriculture. The blue colour is alluding to the name, interpreted as "fowl", i.e. a slowly flowing creek. A connection to Jürgen Fuhlendorf, who freed the local farmers from peonage, could not be proven.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.141

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 23 August 1991. The artist is Uwe Nagel from Bergenhusen.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013


Großenaspe Municipality

Großenaspe Municipal Flag

[Großenaspe municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 22 Jun 2006

It is an armorial flag (banner of arms).
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013

Großenaspe Municipal Coat of Arms

In a green shield is a golden (= yellow) annulet, accompanied by two silver (= white) leaves of aspen upon the outer chiefpoints.
Meaning:
The leaves are a canting element, alluding to aspen trees. The ring was found during archaeological excavations in the area, probably worn by males on the upper arm. Thus early settlements have been proven here.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.151

The flag was approved on 14 September 1989. The coat of arms was approved on 19 September 1977. The artist is Hans Frieder Kühne from Barsbüttel.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013


Hagen Municipality

Hagen Municipal Flag

[Hagen municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 6 Jul 2006

It is an armorial flag (banner of arms).
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013

Hagen Municipal Coat of Arms

The shield is divided per fess into red over golden (= yellow). Above are silver (= white) tools crossed per saltire: an axe and a mattock. Below are two black branches of thorn, also crossed per saltire.
Meaning:
The tools had been used for forest clearances. The thorns had been used for hedges as a protection against marauders.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 30 January 1998. The artist is Uwe Nagel from Bergenhusen.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013


Hardebek Municipality

Hardebek Municipal Flag

[Hardebek municipal flag] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013

It is an armorial flag (banner of arms).
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013

Hardebek Municipal Coat of Arms

The silver (= white) shield is divided by a blue bend sinister wavy. Two green isosceles triangles are partially disappearing beneath the edges. The triangle above right is pointing downwards and superimposed by the gable side of a silver (= white) house. The triangle below left is pointing upwards and superimposed by a silver (= white) horsehead.
Meaning:
The bend wavy is a canting element. The meaning of the name is "herdsman's creek". The house is an image of the "Remontehaus". A "Remonte" was a young horse, being trained for military purposes. The horsehead is alluding to the importance of cavalry horse breeding and training in the past.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 11 May 2009. The artist is Uwe Nagel from Bergenhusen.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013


Hasenkrug Municipality

Hasenkrug Municipal Flag

[Hasenkrug municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 17 Apr 2006

The yellow flag is divided by two blue, narrow, horizontal stripes. Between the stripes is a red, running hare between two green leaves of oak tree.

Hasenkrug Municipal Coat of Arms


Meaning:
The yellow background is symbolising the moraines. The hare is a canting element and alluding to the past, when hares had been hunted between two creeks. The oak is the predominant kind of tree within the local groves.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 27 June 1997. The artist is Uwe Nagel from Bergenhusen.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013

A particularly welcomed Easter present, with a canting hare, in German: "Hase". Note that the French language has stolen the word to make "la hase", which is a she-hare or a she-wild rabbit.
Ivan Sache, 19 Apr 2006


Heidmoor Municipality

Heidmoor Municipal Flag

[Heidmoor municipal flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013

It is an armorial flag (banner of arms).

Heidmoor Municipal Coat of Arms

It is a white shield. At the top edge is a flamy red stripe. In the centre is a plant of heath in natural colour. At the bottom is a blue stripe, superimposed by two white spades crossed per saltire. In the middle of the blue stripe is an elevation.
Meaning:
Plant and spade are canting elements, the former alluding to heather (German: Heide), the later alluding to swamps (German: Moor). The elevation is alluding to a prehistorical tumulus and to the peat bogs in the north of the municipality as well. The flamy stripe at the top reminds on the disastrous forest fire of 1911. In the end this occurrence caused the foundation of the municipality in 1951.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 14 June 2011. The artist is Uwe Nagel from Bergenhusen.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013


Hitzhusen Municipality

Hitzhusen Municipal Flag

[Hitzhusen municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 28 Jun 2006

It is an armorial flag (banner of arms).
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013

Hitzhusen Municipal Coat of Arms

A green marsh pennywort with three leaves is in the centre of a silver (= white) shield. Beneath the plant the field is divided by a red, embattled barrulet. The shield has a blue, embattled base, superimposed by a trout.
Meaning:
The location was mentioned about 1300 as "Hyddeshusen", first within a document in 1365 as "villa Hyddeshuzen", then 1543 "Hiddeshusenn" and 1623/24 as "Hiddeshausen". Since 1855 it is called "Hitzhusen" = "by the houses of Hiddi"", a short form, derived from "Hildi, Hildo" , Old High German: "hiltia", Old saxonian "hildi = fight". The marsh pennywort (Latin: Hydrocotyle vulgaris) is an endangered specias but still existing in Hitzhusen. The embattled barrulet is alluding to a medieval, completely disappeared castle on the bank of the Bramau. The trout is symbolising the increasing number of the variant of "Salmo trutta trutta" in the Bramau during the last decades.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 8 June 2004. The artist is Gisela Gördes from Ascheberg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013


Mönkloh Municipality

Mönkloh Municipal Flag

[Mönkloh municipal flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013

It is an armorial flag (banner of arms).
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013

Mönkloh Municipal Coat of Arms

The green shield is divided by a broad, silver (= white) bend sinister, superimposed by a blue Latin cross. Above right are two golden (= yellow) ears of grain. Below left is a silver antler.
Meaning:
The green colour is symbolising the landscape. The ears of grain are symbolising agriculture, the antler is symbolising riches of deer. The bend sinister is symbolising the so called "monk's lane", leading to(?) a chapel erected in 2001. The cross is alluding to the monks Ansgar (about 900) and Vicelin (about 1100). Both are said to have founded the village.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 12 May 2009. The artist is Susanne Mahlzahn from Mönkloh.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013


Weddelbrook Municipality

The municipality has no proper flag.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 Feb 2020


Wiemersdorf Municipality

Wiemersdorf Municipal Flag

[Wiemersdorf municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 6 Jul 2006

It is an armorial flag (banner of arms).
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013

Wiemersdorf Municipal Coat of Arms

The shield is divided per fess into green over golden (= yellow). Above are three golden (= yellow) three sets of ox-horns ordered 2:1. Below are three red bricks, also ordered 2:1.
Meaning:
The colours are symbolising the cultivation of grain (yellow) and grasslands (green). The village was first mentioned about 1200 as "Wimeresthorpe" in a list of the monastery in Neum?nster, which owned three acres here, symbolised by the triplets. The horns are alluding to the ox trail, nowadays federal road B4. The bricks are alluding to the manufacturing of bricks in the 19th century, the main business line besides agriculture.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.268

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 18 August 1993. The artist is Uwe Nagel from Bergenhusen.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Jan 2013

While the flags has equal stripes of green and yellow, the wording of the blazon gives the arms a green field with a golden base.
Also, it's probably worth noting that, as can be seen in Jörg Majewski's image, though the flag bears the charges of the arms it doesn't distribute them to fill available space as an armorial banner would.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 25 Jan 2013

Assuming that Jörg Majewski's image (of the flag) is accurate and using Ralf Hartemink's site for the arms - as Klaus-Michael Schneiderstates this is indeed an "armorial flag" (although I would have preferred the term "armorial banner"), rather than the "banner of arms" implied by Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, in that it has (in this case) all the elements of a particular coat of arms but slightly re-arranged - see e.g. DoV
When a banner of arms is created with a ratio of 2:3, rather than square (or nearly so) as is more usual in (for example) English heraldry, I wonder if it should actually "fill (the) available space", or whether it is more correct to extend the field and keep the charges fairly closely grouped as in they are on the arms.
Chris Southworth, 26 Jan 2013


back to Segeberg cities and municipalities click here.