This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Glücksburg (Germany)

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: glücksburg | grid-iron |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Glücksburg city flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 28 Apr 2006
approved 18 October 1951 See also:

City of Glücksburg

Glücksburg City Flag

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a blue red yellow vertical tricolour with ratio 1:1:4. The coat of arms without shield is slightly shifted to the hoist.

Glücksburg City Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a golden (= yellow) field is a red grid-iron.
Meaning:
The red hot grid-iron is an attribute of St.Lorenz, who had been the patron saint of a Cistercian monastery named Rude, that had been in this place since 1210 and had been secularized in 1538. In 1587 Duke Johann the younger from the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg branch built a water-castle in this place and named it Glücksburg. The nearby village received the same name and gained the rank of a market town in 1877, of a city in 1900. Today Glücksburg is a well-known spa. The grid-iron before was also part of the arms of the Munkbrarup subdistrict (Harde). Red and yellow had been the colurs of the dukes of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg.
Sources: Reißmann 1997, p.145 and Stadler 1970, p.99

The flag was approved on 18 October 1951. The artist is Hans Baron of Weienbach from Leipzig.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 Dec 2012


back to Schleswig-Flensburg cities and municipalities click here.