Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: straubing-bogen | bogen county | straubing county | lozengy(white-blue) | wheat(ear) | st. mary | fess(wavy) | chief(lozengy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The flag of this county is special it is the only official exception to the stripe design rule among the Bavarian counties. The flag is a banner, a lozengy of white and blue, with the arms in the top of the banner, and was approved 8 April 1974. My image corresponds in proportions and number and position of lozenges to a photo of an actual flag.
The lozengy of white and blue was originally the arms of the Counts of Bogen and later assumed by the Wittelsbach kin, the long-time rulers of Bavaria. The Bavarian state archives held the opinion that the importance of Bogen for the history of the symbols of Bavaria justified making an exception from the normal flag rules.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996.
Stefan Schwoon, 28 Sep 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
"The arms were granted on 8 April 1974. The arms are mainly based on the old arms of Straubing, but in the upper part a figurine of the Holy Madonna is added. This symbolises the important Maria pilgrimage to the Bogenberg in the district, and was taken from the arms of the former Bogen county."
Literature: Linder and Olzog 1996.
Santiago Dotor, 10 Dec 2003
This flag is special it is the only official (former) county flag that does not conform to the stripes rule. It shows the county arms in the head and a lozengy of white and blue below. The county was permitted to use this design to honour the origin of Bavaria's symbols: the lozengy was originally the arms of the Counts of Bogen, who died out in 1235 and whose possessions (and arms) were inherited by the Wittelsbach kin, Bavaria's long-ruling family. The flag was approved on 18 May 1954. The county was integrated into Straubing-Bogen County which adopted the same design (with new arms).
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.20
Stefan Schwoon, 12 July 2001
The coat of arms was approved on 18 May 1954. The chief displays the arms of Bavaria, derived from the Wittelsbach family, who, in turn, took the arms in the 13th century from the Counts of Bogen. The lower part is symbolizing the St. Mary pilgrimage to the Bogenberg. The wave in the lower sinister part symbolises the river Donau (Danube).
Source: Stadler 1964, p.20
Santiago Dotor, 17 June 2003
Yellow-green, no date given possibly indicating an unofficial use. The county absorbed Bogen County and parts of Mallersdorf County during the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1972, p.119
Stefan Schwoon, 31 July 2001
The coat of arms was approved in 1968. The arms display in the upper half a symbol for the mainly agricultural character of the county. The bar wavy is representing the Donau [Danube] river. The
lower half displays the arms of the Wittelsbach kin, who originated in the area and later became Dukes and Kings of Bavaria.
Source: Stadler 1972, p.119
Santiago Dotor, 1 July 2003
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here