This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Creglingen (Germany)

Stadt Creglingen, Main-Tauber-Kreis, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: creglingen | lions(2) | passant | reguardant | leopardized |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Creglingen city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2013
approved 21 December 1976 See also:

City of Creglingen

Creglingen City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a black - white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: photo, showing a concert of four joined big bands of the city, which took place on 15 November 2008
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2013

Creglingen Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a silver (= white) shield are two black lions passant reguardant, armed and tongued red.
Creglingen gained city rights in 1349 from Emperor Karl IV. The city at the time belonged to the Counts of Hohenlohe. The oldest seal of the city dates from the first quarter of the 15th century and shows the two lions of the Counts of Hohenlohe. To distinguish the arms of the city from those of the counts, only the front part of the lions was shown. Afterwards there was at least a different shape of the tails. When the city was acquired by the Margraves of Nürnberg in 1448, the seal showed the two lions completely. The arms basically never changed since, except that in some seals the lions were sinister facing instead of dexter facing.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.31

A plain(?) black - white banner was approved on 2 October 1967 by minister of interior of Baden-Württemberg, published in GABl 618/1967. Stadler reports in 1971 a red-white flag, which is confirmed Heinz Stoob "Deutsches Städtebuch, Band IV,2,2: Württemberg", Stuttgart 1962. Red and white are the colours of Hohenlohe. But Stadler at least wasn't quite up to date.
Banner and coat of arms were approved/confirmed on 21 December 1976 by the county administration, published in GABl 311/1977.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2013

back to Main-Tauber cities and municipalities click here