This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Tuttlingen (Germany)

Stadt Tuttlingen, Kreis Tuttlingen, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2013-12-23 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: tuttlingen | moehringen | attires(3) | bordure | fleur de lis | negro(crowned) | chief |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Tuttlingen city banner]
image by Klaus-Michael Schneider,
[Tuttlingen plain city banner]
image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Nov 2013

See also:

City of Tuttlingen

Tuttlingen City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a blue - yellow vertical bicolour. (see image above left). The coat of arms is in the centre of the banner. The yellow shades of the yellow stripe and within the coat of arms are the same.
Source: information provided by Mrs. Julia Bauer from Tuttlingen Central Services Department
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 19 Dec 2013

Tuttlingen Plain City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a blue - yellow vertical bicolour. (see image above right)
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 27 August 2003 in the urban park.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Nov 2013

Description of coat of arms:
In a golden (= yellow) shield are three black attires ordered per pale. The shield has a silver (= white) bordure.
The town was founded in the early 13th century by Reichenau Abbey and its administrators (Vögte), the Lords of Wartenberg and became part of Württemberg in 1377. The arms show the arms of Württemberg, the three deer attires. Already in the oldest seal of the city, dating from the end of the 14th century, the three attires appear. In the 16th century the bordure was added, probably to distinguish the arms of the town from the arms of Württemberg, but there exists a coloured painting from 1536, displaying just the attires without bordure. Besides the arms, a fleur-de-lis had been a local symbol of the city, which was used on border stones for centuries. It was also used on seals from the 18th until the 20th century.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.103
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Dec 2013

It is not known, since then the blue - yellow bicolour was in use. The colours are however derived from the former coat of arms of the city, the so called Tuttlinger Ilg", which was a golden (= yellow) fleur de lis in a blue shield. The colours of the sheet were not changed, after the current coat of arms had been adopted, in order to avoid confusions with the colours of Baden-Württemberg.
The coat of arms displaying the three attires of Württemberg was introduced in 1377, when the city became a possession of the Counts of Württemberg. The former rulers, the Abbotts of Reichenau granted city rights and the former arms already at the end of the 13th century showing the above mentioned "Tuttlinger Ilg", first a symbol of St. Gabriel, who announced the birth of Jesus Christ to St. Mary. The lily was replaced by the coat of arms of Württemberg around 1400, was however tacitly tolerated as an additional coat of arms for centuries. In the 16th century there existed arms displaying the black attires in gold on the dexter half and the golden fleur de lis in blue on the sinister half. So the lily survived until the middle of the 19th century. Due to the uncertainty, which arms were the right ones, in 1889 two professors of the department of law of the Munich University were asked for a report. The reason, why the attires had been chosen, was rather curious. There existed two seals, a big seal with attires, a date (1629) and a circumscription. Besides that there had been also a small seal with the lily but without any date. For that reason, it was considered that the bigger seal, from which had also existed a print from 1651, was the oldest known symbol of the city and thus the only valid base of the coat of arms. Since 1906 it was forbidden to use seals displaying the lily.
Sources: email of Mrs. Julia Bauer and
Erich Kaufmann "Die Lilie in der Heraldik und in Besonderheit für Markungsgrenzen und als Stadtwappen", publ. in (Tuttlinger) Heimatblätter, volume 2000
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 Dec 2013

Please note, that the banner with coat of arms is only used on occasion of special events and exclusively as an indoor flag. The plain bicolour is the every-day-and-outdoor-banner. Very special thanks to Mrs. Julia Bauer for her outstanding help.

Borough of Möhringen

Möhringen Banner

[Tuttlingen-Möhringen banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Nov 2013

Description of banner:
It is a black - white - blue vertical tricolour. The coat of arms is slightly shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 27 August 2003 at the historical town hall of Möhringen.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Nov 2013

Möhringen Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a blue shield is a negro issuant. He is dressed in a silver (= white) garment and crowned by a golden (= yellow) coronet. The chief is divided per fess into black over silver (= white).
Möhringen gained city rights, which had been granted by Bishop Heinrich von Klingenberg, in the last decade of the 13th century. The negro is a canting element (older German term: Mohr) and is taken from the arms of the Lords of Möhringen. The chief displays the arms of the Lords of Klingenberg.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.72

The arms were granted in 1470 by Emperor Friedrich III, and immediately used in the seals of the city.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Nov 2013

back to Tuttlingen cities and municipalities click here