Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: erbach(donau) | lion | counterchanged |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Description of banner:
It is a yellow - red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon's database
Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per fess into gold (= yellow) over red. The only figure is a rampant lion in counterchanged colours, armed and tongued black.
Erbach had the title of a market town since the late middle ages. The rulers often changed. When Erbach became part of Hither Austria (/Vorderösterrich/), it was one of the very few towns having own seals. The first seal is reported from the middle of the 16th century, displaying a lion. The lion was considered to be that one of the Wittelsbach kin, because the town belonged to the branch line Bayern-Landshut from 1488 until 1504. In 1954 the original pattern (year not provided) was restored, displaying the lion in a shield divided per fess. The colours were chosen arbitrarily. Erbach gained city rights on 1 August 2002, published in GABl 482/2002.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.38
Banner and coat of arms were approved on 12 November 1981 by the county administration, published in GABl 352/1982 .
back to Alb-Donau cities and municipalities click here