Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: vechta |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 10 Jan 2008
Flag adopted ?
The arms were granted on December 27, 1955.
The first quarter shows the old arms of Oldenburg, as the most of the area historically belonged to Oldenburg. The second quarter shows the arms of the Counts of Calvelage-Ravensberg who sold their possessions in the Southern part of the district to the Bishops of Münster in 1252. The base shows three so-called wolf's-hooks from the arms of the Counts of Galen, who, as vassals of the Bishops of Münster held several estates in the district.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
Source: Ralf Hartemink.