This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wesermarsch County (Germany)

Landkreis Wesermarsch, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: wesermarsch | bar(red) | ship(ancient) | warrior |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Wesermarsch County flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 July 2017

See also:

Wesermarsch County

county seat: Brake (Unterweser)
area: 821.9 km²
inhabitants: 93,094
subdivisions: 9 municipalities, incl. 3 cities
flag unofficial
coat of arms approved on 2 February 1953 by Minister of Interior of Lower Saxony
Jörg Majewski, 12 Jan 2008


Description of flag:
It is a blue-white-blue horizontal triband with ratio of stripes approx. 1:6:1. The coat of arms is in the middle of the central stripe. ?2 of Hauptsatzung of Wesermarsch County, version 19 December 2016 just mentions, the flag displays the colours white and blue with arms. But the triband-pattern was confirmed by phone call to county administration.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 July 2017

Former Flag

[Wesermarsch County flag 1953] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 12 Jan 2008

Description of flag:
It was a white over green horizontal bicolour with centred arms. This flag is in use probably since 1953, but it was never approved. Its colours were those of the Frisians, as e.g. also in Wursten.
Jörg Majewski, 12 Jan 2008

Coat of Arms

[Wesermarsch county arms] image by Jörg Majewski, 12 Jan 2008

Description of coat of arms:
Shield parted per pale; at dexter Or two bars Gules; at sinister parted per pale, above Argent an ancient shipe Vert flagged Argent, beneath Vert a warrior passant Argent with spear and round shield.
The dexter half of the arms displays the bars of the Counts of Oldenburg, which are reminding on the conquest of the Stedinger Land, some kind of farmers' republic, in 1234. A large part of the county belonged to Oldenburg since 1234. The ship is a Kogge, a typical medieval trading ship. It is symbolising the longtime trade at the mouth of the Weser River. The warrior is symbolising the old Frisian tribes that lived in the area. A similar warrior can be found also in the arms of former Rüstringen City (1911 -1937), and a modiified version in the arms of Wilhelmshaven City, which incorporated Rüstringen in 1937. The warrior is furthermore representing the Frisian folklore in Rüstringerland, Stadland and Butjadingerland. The green colour is also symbolising agriculture. Green and white had been the Frisian colours in the area for centuries. When the new flag was introduced, the arms remained the same, but the shield is skewed in the upper dexter corner.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.95
Jarigg Bakker, 12 Jan 2008 and Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 July 2017