This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wittmund County (Germany)

Landkreis Wittmund, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: wittmund(county) | ship(ancient) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Wittmund County flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 13 Jan 2008
Flag adopted 1980

See also:

Wittmund county

County: Wittmund
county seat: Wittmund
area: 658.68 qkm
population: 57,829
divisions: 19 municipalities, incl. 15 in 2 Samtgemeinden*, 2 towns
Flag adopted 1980
CoA adopted 1st October 1951
*A "Samtgemeinde" (SG*), also called "comprehensive municipality" is a combination of several municipalities to an administrative community in Lower Saxony.
Jörg Majewski, 13 Jan 2008

Coat of Arms

[Wittmund county arms] image by Jörg Majewski, 13 Jan 2008
adopted 1 Oct 1951

The arms were granted on 1 October 1951.
The district is situated along the North Sea coast and has many harbours. This is symbolised by the ship in the arms. The bear on the front sail is taken from the arms of the Attena family from Esens, one of the main ruling families in the 14th and 15th century. The ships on the middle sail are taken from the arms of Hero Omken and are taken from the arms of the city of Wittmund. The eagle on the back sail represents the castle and Amt Friedeburg.
Literature : Stadler 1964, p.97
Source: Ralf Hartemink's webpage