Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: harburg |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 23 Dec 2007
Flag adopted 15 Jul 1988
Additions : 1932 Winsen
The arms were granted on 3 April 1928.
The lion in the arms is the lion of the Dukes of Lüneburg, a branch of the Welfen family. One of the branches of this family named itself after the city of Winsen, at present the capital of the district. The original capital, Harburg, is now part of Hamburg. The lion holds a key, which is the symbol of Bremen. The area was in the early Middle Ages one of the strongholds of the archbishops of Bremen, who were later succeeded by the Welfen family.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
Source: Ralf Hartemink.